Thread: How to fix the broken software manager in Linux Mint

How to fix the broken software manager in Linux Mint

Software manager in my friends pc is broken and due to which he is not able to get any new updates. Installing software under Linux is very different from how it used to under Windows. On Windows you always have an Installer through which you can click through. Everything is pre-configured there but I a am not able to understand the same on Linux. I heard that there are complete packages that include everything needed for installation (RPM / o DEB) and there are files (TAR Archive). It is better that the software manager is better designed to install apps. If no packages are given to one must of course resort to other formats. What you recommend for that. How to fix the same.

Re: How to fix the broken software manager in Linux Mint

In Linux there are many ways to install a application. There is not just the software manager which can give you the installation support. This may depend on several things. The first is your distribution. The version of operating system which you are using. If you are using debain or Slackware then it is possible to install your applications with the help of a Utility called apt-get. You can also simply unzip the program files which in the format of tgz. You can also install rpm packages with the utility alien. In the second case it is usually the source of the software. So you need to compile the program on your machine to make its implementation possible.

It is true that many new Linux users often shy away back before the installation of Linux programs, mainly because the installation is in text mode. Linux / Unix has one of the most sophisticated user management systems in the computer world. There are in addition to the normal users, the so-called users, and even the system administrators, these are called root in the Linux world. Anyone who has ever worked with Windows NT has to be there to find a similar system. When you install programs that user rights play a role in the sense that can be executed only a few steps in the installation of the above-root users. So if you can run the software with that then the installation become easier.

There is not a fix for that. All you need to re-install the operating system. It is right the same issue has been faced by many users and they are still not getting solution on that. A easier way to deal with this is using the RPM packages. This can be the secondary choice. The RPM technology makes it possible to install software, uninstall, update, or verify an installation only if RPM packages are precompiled packages. This means that they must be translated from the actual source code into executable files.Also these packages includes configuration files that are installed directly to the right place of your system. If necessary, you can change the configuration files. The information for each installed package will be stored in a database.

I had worked with this before. I had a similar issue sometime before when my software manager was neither updating not showing up sings of software. For that I found this commands which can helpful. This only works if you face any flash plugin update issue. The commands are $ sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/adobe-flashplugin.prerm # Deletes a troublesome config file. Then for reconfiguring this type $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure adobe-flashplugin --force # Force-reconfigures adobe-flashplugin. For complete removal type $ sudo dpkg --purge --force-all adobe-flashplugin # Force-removes adobe-flashplugin.

Remember that any RPM packages can only be installed as the root user. By now you must be so log in as root. This can be done at the registration system or by typing su in the terminal. You can use the terminal to run the software setup. To install an RPM package, you must first change to the directory containing the package installed. The installation is now using - rpm-i programme.rpm. And on the same hand you can also uninstall it. For that the command is rpm-e programme.rpm. And on the same hand to update that you have to use rpm-U programme.rpm. Software that is delivered as source code is installed on a completely different way than RPM packages.