Thread: Screen become blank of the Linux Mint Desktop

Screen become blank of the Linux Mint Desktop

I have installed Linux Mint 10 on my desktop. I am facing very serious issue with my Linux Mint 10. Well the screen of the desktop becomes blank at regular interval of time. I don’t know where the problem is whether it has an issue with hardware or software of the computer. Reboot is the only solution to solve the issue. No other trick or tweak is worked so far. Can anyone help me out from this situation?

Re: Screen become blank of the Linux Mint Desktop

I was also having the same problem with my computer. I had recently installed Linux Mint 10 on my computer. Desktop screen becomes blank automatically while working on computer. I have to forcefully restart the computer. I had searched a lot on the internet for the countless of hours but every effort of mine is wasted. I am really frustrated with this situation. Please help me out if you can figure out my problem.

Well I know it’s very annoying situation that you are facing right know. I don’t know anything about the solution but I can tell you that the problem that you have mentioned may occur due to Video card that you have installed on your computer. I am suggesting you to use inxi –G command on the terminal. Basically inxi command is used to display all the hardware details of the system on the terminal. With using ‘-G’ option you can find out what type of Graphic card that you have installed on your computer. Once you know about the graphic card detail you can plan further steps to solve the issue.

Well I know a solution that you can use to solve your problem. I am not sure that it will work or not but I think you should try it. You have to download and install smxi/sgfxi tool from the smxi.org. You have to Press ctrl+alt+F1 to login into root into type sgfxi. You have to follow the instruction. You have to check whether it provides you correct driver or not. So just try it out whether it works for you or not.

You may apply the following steps to solve your issue. You have put live CD into the disk drive.You have to press enter key to enter into menu. Select the language and hit enter, press F6 and after Esc. After quiet splash you have to add "i915.modeset=1" Now to boot CD you have to press enter.To make lasting change you have to use following command on the terminal
    Code:
    echo options i915 modeset=1 | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/i915-kms.conf
    sudo update-initramfs –u
    Let me know if the above mentioned solution worked or not. If you got any solution then please write the same. Thanks a lot for reading this solution.

Well I was having the same problem from past few days. I had searched a lot and accidentally I got the solution from the one of the forum. It’s a trick and the success of this trick depends on machine to machine. I meant to say it may work or may not work in your case. You have to disable the spinning down of hard disk from the Management settings. This trick worked for me. I hope it will helpful for you. Wish you all the best.