Thread: While installing Windows XP product key is unable to recognize

While installing Windows XP product key is unable to recognize

I newly received a free computer from my brother. It was before used at a business that closed down. I am trying to install a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro on it. I don’t have anything that included with the new computer. The Windows label on the PC shows that it was originally build up with Windows XP Home Edition. However, it was running Windows XP Pro SP 3 when I received it from him. I downloaded and use a key finder to find the Windows XP Pro product key. I then tried to do the windows XP Pro install. When I the product key screen came up, I typed the key that I set up by running the key finder and I received a message saying that the product key is not valid. I am unable to continue with the installation. Is there any other way to complete the installation and then update the product key with the Windows Product Key Update Tool? If yes so please suggest me.

Re: While installing Windows XP product key is unable to recognize

I think it is a frequent mistake for businesses with Volume Licenses to ignore to take away their Volume Licensing installations of Windows from computers that they are promoting, liquidating or changing back at the end of a rent. Not doing this promotes their product keys to the market and gives the end client or purchaser the wrong impression that they are getting a good bargain.

I think you may not have applicable product key for Windows XP Pro, but based on what you have mentioned, for sure you does not contain a valid license for Windows XP Pro. A Product Key is not considering as a license. If the computer does have a Certificate of Authenticity for windows XP Home, so it is like that the computer is still licensed to run Windows XP Home Edition. Is there a computer company name or OEM application printed on the CoA? Don’t post the product key given on the CoA.

As per my knowledge most likely the now outdated business had installed a Volume License version of Windows XP Professional. If this is the actual case then the product key for it is no longer suitable as it belonged completely to that business and is not transferable. It also need that a Volume License Windows XP Professional installation disk be used.