Thread: Why Windows 7 Pro Prompt me to backup file encryption certificate and key

Why Windows 7 Pro Prompt me to backup file encryption certificate and key

Before this I was running windows 7 of 32 bit but recently I have bought the Windows 7 Professional 64bit Upgrade. So in this I have done the following things:
    1. I have used my Toshiba system restore disc to install one more time windows vista Home Premium 32bit of 32 bit in place of the windows 7 operating system.
    2. I have used my Windows 7 Professional 64bit upgrade disc to do a Custom Install in place of Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have not at all utilized any program to encrypt whatever thing on my computer previous to or later than installing Windows 7 Professional. When I type cipher.exe /u /n on to the command prompt, it returns “NO found encrypted files”. Why is Windows 7 inquiring me to back up my file encryption certificate and key? If this is Bit Locker, how am I able to turn it off if it does not survive in Windows 7 professional?

Re: Why Windows 7 Pro Prompt me to backup file encryption certificate and key

You just tell me first that have you attempted to go ahead through the backup to make sure what occurs? Also have you attempted to run cipher /s /d to decrypt all sub-directories which is starting at C:\? For security matters I would put forward that you have to back up the File Encryption Certificate i.e FEC and key on a detachable media.
    To make sure you could run cipher.exe tool to show the encryption of folder and files on NTFS volumes. To do this, please get the subsequent steps.
    1. First thing which you have to do is type the "cmd" in the run windows and right tick to run as Administrator.
    2. And after doing this you have to type the following command: cipher /u
    3. Then it will list all the encrypted folders and files which are present in your system.
    4. Please locate to the above encrypted folders. And after doing this you will get appropriate solution for your issue.

Here I want to tell you something about the Bitlocker. Actually Bit locker does not survive in specialized edition of Windows 7. If you do not obtain the choice to turn off pay no attention to the steps. Generally, if Bit Locker is turn ON for the OS, driver. Bit Locker will scrutinize your computer to help in giving the protection at system startup. This is not able to be seen by the user, and the user logon experience is unaffected. For more detail information, you can also refer the many of the official website. And I am sure that you will get information on this within a fraction of time. You can even check if the Bit locker is turned OFF. Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

I have the similar trouble in Windows 7 Ultimate x86_64 where all the time the desktop launches and in that I have obtained a windows which is inquiring to backup the key(s). Also at whatever time I join an external drive. Not any of my drives, i.e. inner and external both shows that having Bit Locker turned on in the 'BitLocker Drive Encryption' control panel extension. Likewise to the unique poster, when I do 'cipher /u' or 'cipher /u /n' from a cmd, and as a local administrator shows that, no output is generated. What are the circumstances that were able to happen to start no matter what it is that has abruptly told the OS to begin prompting to backup keys. Is there a flag-bit rearrange tool anywhere to solve this?

Regarding this I do not know that whether this will help you are not but you can take a look on this and after that decide it. Actually I had the similar difficulty which begins simply from last evening through my Windows 7 32-bit Professional. I back-tracked and searched a kind of zipped file which I have downloaded and then I had intentionally made this from the internet and it is a kind of encrypted. When I unzipped it, it prompts up that the 'Back Up Your Encryption Keys Wizard'. I ran safety checks on the download and all its inside were non-malicious, just web graphics in the public domain, so I do not acquainted with why it turn out to be encrypted. Windows 7 will routinely inform the user to back up an encryption key when one is shaped. In this case, a self-certified key had been produced routinely presumably activated by the download.I relegated the entire download; zipped and unzipped, to the recycle bin as it was not what was compulsory anyhow. Running cipher /u exposed the encrypted files in the recycle bin. Unfilled the recycle bin and running cipher /u again exposed no encrypted files left over in the c: drive.Maybe your situations are alike an encrypted download produced the prompt to back up your encryption keys, but you had removed the original source files that related to the key. You may yourself open the 'Encrypting File System Wizard' in Windows 7 by: Control Panels>User Accounts>Manage Your File Encryption Certificates. On the other hand type the word < certificates > devoid of the brackets into the Search Box at the underneath of the Start Menu. The wizard will demonstrate obtainable personal file encryption certificates and who issued it and when. And after this type the certmgr at the cmd calls up another and extremely influential Certificate Manager. Be cautious! For my part, I backed up the official document which had been routinely made and then deleted the certificate as I acquainted with that it has not otherwise been used.