Thread: Need to do some changes in the gnome desktop in linux operating system

Need to do some changes in the gnome desktop in linux operating system

I have just started working on my new Linux mint 10.10. I have several queries regarding it. So it would be great if you could have helped me out. Well I wanted to know how a gnome desktop can be made to click with only one click of icons. Normally it uses double click of icons. Also I wanted to know can we add programs to the right click menu. Is it possible to have more than one desktop and display in the taskbar? I know this questions are a bit silly. But if you have any idea then please do reply on it.

Re: Need to do some changes in the gnome desktop in linux operating system

Well you want to switch desktops. That means you want to have more than one workspace. So for that what you can do is that go to the panel and do a right click. From there select the add to panel and choose Workspace Switcher. This will probably allow you to switch the workspace. Now your query regarding the single click activation in the gnome desktop. You can go to the file manger and go to edit and select the preference. Select the behavior tab and select the single click on the open items. Your another query regarding the adding of the items In the right click menu then you must specify what you have to add. Without that I cant answer that query.

Well I wanted to add several important functions like the home button and also the browser such as Firefox. I want to keep my desktop clean and so that’s why I need to add such items in the right click. Well I want to make it easier by right clicking and selecting the particular items rather than searching for the other things in the desktop. Also I wanted to say that the other two solutions that you had specified worked well for me. Thanks for that.

Well If you are talking about having a clean desktop. Then let me tell you that you can use the docky. This particular application can be used as a shortcut bar that can be placed in any position of the screen. So this would be a much better option where you can place all the shortcuts in one particular docky and auto hide it. So from this your desktop will appear to be clean. So do try with this suggestion and let me know if it works for you.

Ok thanks for the suggestion. I was not knowing about the particular application named docky. Well after reading your suggestion i went through the internet and i read several features of the particular application. So that's why i am going with this product. Well i think it will definitely help me clean up my desktop such that all the necessary folders will be stored in one particular location. Again Thanks a lot for your efforts.