Thread: Retain partitions on reinstall in Linux mint

Retain partitions on reinstall in Linux mint

I have a mint 10 as well as xp operating system. I double boot the system. All the windows data are stored in the sda1 and sda2. While the mints data are stored in the sda3 and sda5. Well I have to reinstall the mint so that I can change the administrator settings accordingly. So for that while installing from the live DVD I cannot proceed further because it warns me that all the partitions will be erased in order to go with the new installation. How can I do it without harming the other data in the computer. Please do let me know as soon as possible.

Re: Retain partitions on reinstall in Linux mint

If you ask me I would advise you to change the name of the administrator that you want to change then create a new account and name it accordingly and delete the old administrator account. Once you are done with that make sure that you keep the backup of the necessary data. If you are doing a fresh installation then you have to delete all the old configuration files and then reinstall all the files again. So hope you are clear with the concept that I am trying to explain.

Well you have specified that you want to change details of the admin name & details. So for that you don’t have to do a big deal. What you have to do is just try creating a new user account and see if it is working fine or not with the new administrator. If it is working fine then you need to completely delete the old account. Also ensure that while doing this operation import all the important files In the new directory or the home directory. I think so this procedure is very simple and you can perform it accordingly.

Well in case you want to preserve the data then I think so you must go with the manual portioning. In the manual partitioning you can set the particular size in the system for each of the operating system. Once you have set that, then you can be ensured that the other data will not be harmed and you can easily go with the re installation of the operating system, to change the administrator account. So hope you have got the necessary solution.

Hey thanks everyone for the valuable suggestions that you have given. Well i wanted to say that i carried with the necessary operation and i was pretty successful in it and i was able to change the administrator account. For that i had ensured that i had kept the necessary back up of the data. So there was no possibility of the erasing of the partitions of the disc. so thanks for helping me out with the issue.