Thread: How to disable services in linux

How to disable services in linux

I needed to ask this with you all. I just wanted to know how can I disable a particular service In the linux operating system permanently. Whenever I disable a particular service it seems to come back again. Whenever I reboot the system. I have tried this several times and it seems to be repeating again. Well I have read several manuals regarding this topic but none of them have helped me. So could you all give me a perfect solution for this.

Re: How to disable services in linux

Well what you can do is go and type this command In the command prompt.
    - /etc/init.d/
    All the services that you need to run, stop or pause then you need to go to this particular location. So once you have entered here then you have to specify the particular service and then type the above command for example if you want to stop samba service then you need to type the following command
    - Stop /etc/init.d/samab stop
    So just try with this solution and let me know if it works for you.

Well what you can do is to go and check the list of services that is needed for you and the one which is not needed for you. So what you can do is to specify whether you want to remove or not in front of that service. Save that particular file in the text format. So when you have finally got the list then go to the root directory and type the following command
    - ‘chmod +x servicescript’
    After that get into the terminal and after the major upgrade type the following command
    - ‘./servicescript’
    After doing this do a reboot of the system and see the changes.

Well let me inform you that this is not the perfect method for the stopping of the service. This is because I have tried with the above solutions and none of the solution worked for me. So what more can I do now. I had also tried with the first solution specified here but that also did not give me the desired result. It also started after I restarted my system. So what can be the exact problem behind these can you explain.

Well it all depends on which type of the linux operating system are you suing. The solution that is specified above are all for the Ubuntu based Mint and you might be using the Linux Mint Debian Edition. So that's why it is giving you such error. So this can be the possibility. Other than that the second possibility may be due to the System v jobs that are present in the Ubuntu based Mint which you might be using is turned off. So that’s why it is giving you such an error. However you take a note of these possibilities and ensure all these methods are worked with.