Thread: Are there any ill effects of using wine in the linux operating system?

Are there any ill effects of using wine in the linux operating system?

I am new to the linux operating system. So from my side I am trying to learn something or the other of the linux operating system. I have heard that wine can be used to open portable file or run an portable application with the help of the usb stick. I have a lot of portable applications in the usb stick. I was a bit concerned because this will allow an easy spread of the viruses in the particular platform. In order to avoid all the files from running In the wine. I have set all the .exe files to open in archive manager as default. But it fails to load the winzip file and says to right click and open with the help of wine. So is it that the virus program cannot be opened in the linux on its own or is the other way round. Do give me your views on this.

Re: Are there any ill effects of using wine in the linux operating system?

Well I can say that there is some risk involved here but you don’t need to panic on this. You know In order to open any type of the executable files they must have the executable file set. If you don’t have it then you cannot open In the executable file format. So many of the downloadable files do not have the executable file set. So if the virus enters into the system it is most unlikely that it will open as the executable file. For safety dot try to scan your usb stick with a good antivirus before inserting any files from the usb to your system.

Well if you are afraid that the particular wine program can access all the programs in your system. Then you can possibly try and sandbox the entire wine folder. With the help of the coding you can remove all the synlinks that connects it to the all of the home folder. This will help wine to lose all the connections that it has with the other files. So do try with this method it will be very effective.

Hey I am interested in knowing more about the particular sandboxing of the wine. Well the concept definitely sounds new to me. So I am interested in knowing more about it. So can u explain me the coding that I need to perform in order to start with the sandbox operation. Also I needed to know that I wanted to use wine to burn certain cds and the dvds in the computer. So if I sandbox the wine I will not be able to use it right?

Well the coding for the sandbox of the wine is very simple. Below is the given code to perform the sandbox operation
    Select all
    winetricks sandbox
    By doing that no Wine programs can access any thing outside wine folder. So hope you have got the necessary coding and as far as the burning of the cd and DVD is concerned you cannot perform such action once you have sandboxed the wine. In order to perform such operation you may have to undo such changes.