Thread: Relocating Linux Mint 10 partition

Relocating Linux Mint 10 partition

I have been using Linux Mint 10 operating system which is installed on my Acer Aspire laptop from last two weeks. I want to know that if I can relocate my Linux partition to a different part on the Hard Disk. Since I was using Linux mint 10 operating system it was experimental for me, so I put it at the end of the Hard Disk. I now want to move it between my operating system and my data, as I have 40 GB unallocated there. I need a solution which will help me in reusing the partition.

Re: Relocating Linux Mint 10 partition

Yes you can reuse your partition space. If you have different partition which is used between the empty space and your mint partition, you cannot move it. In that case you can do one thing and that is you can shuffle your data and mint partitions down, effectively moving the 40GB to the end. Otherwise you have a different option such as you could create a new partition in the empty space and copy everything in the mint partition down to it and then delete the previous mint partition. Now you may need to edit some of the files to get it to work also you can back up the data and after copying the data you can then delete it, move the mint, then recreate the data.

I did not know the technique to deal with this problem such as reusing the Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution it was possible for me to reuse the lost hard disk space. I have successfully reused my hard disk space without any problem but I want to know if there is some readymade software available which I can make use of to deal with this problem. Also give me the steps about how to use the software.

If you want to reuse the hard disk space then in that case you can make use of the “Gparted” software. Gparted is used for creating, deleting, resizing, moving, checking and copying partitions, and also we can easily copy file system on these partition them. Gparted is useful tool which can be used for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk space, copying data residing on hard disks and we can mirror one partition with another partition easily. You can make use of copy and paste function in gparted. The partition you paste to must be unformatted. If it is formatted the "paste" function will fail because gparted will see the partition as "in use".