Thread: Installing Java on Linux Mint 10

Installing Java on Linux Mint 10

I was having Microsoft Windows XP operating system installed on my desktop. Last night while browsing the internet there was virus attack on my system due to which my operating system files got corrupted and my system was restarting. So I formatted the system and installed Mint 10 which is Linux platform operating system. I have downloaded the Java software on my system and started the installation but I am facing problems while the installation. Any help would be appreciated so that I can troubleshoot this problem and install java software without any error.

Re: Installing Java on Linux Mint 10

Java is a programming language which was developed by Sun Microsystems in 1995. The syntax of the Java software was derived by C and C++. Java applications are typically compiled to machine code that can run on any Java Virtual Machine. Java software can be easily installed on Linux Mint 10 platform easily. There are two ways in which we can install java software i.e. by Linux self extracting binary file and other by Linux RPM package. If you are getting error while installing Java software on Mint 10 platform then you can follow any of the installation method given below.

The steps for installing Java with the Linux self extracting binary file are given below:
    1. You need to download the java software on the system on which you want to install it.
    2. After downloading the files you may need to change its permission so that it can be executed easily. You can change the permission by following the steps given below:
      Code:
      chmod a+x jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.bin
    3. After changing the permission to executable you may need to verify that you have permission to execute the file. You can verify the file permission by typing ls –l command.
    4. You need to change the directory where you want to install it. The command to change the directory is given below:
      Code:
      cd <directory path name>
    5. Also you may be able to install the java software if you have logged in as a root user thus administrator. You may need to run the binary file by using the command given below:
      Code:
      ./jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.bin
    6. You need to accept the license agreement for the installation. The java software will be successfully installed on the system without any error. You can verify it by typing ls command in the terminal window.

If you have installed java software on Linux Mint 10 then you may need to enable and configure it. If you are using Mozilla Firefox then you can enable the Java Console menu item in the Tools menu. You may just need to change the directories to the Firefox extensions directory, and then unzip ffjcext.zip there. You can enable and configure the java software by typing the command given below in the terminal window:
    Code:
    cd /usr/lib/firefox-1.4/extensions 
    unzip /usr/java/jre1.6.0/lib/deploy/ffjcext.zip
    thus java software will be enabled and configured easily without any problem.