Thread: how to install vb.net on ubuntu

how to install vb.net on ubuntu

I’m totally new on ubuntu and I want to install vb.net on ubuntu, but I don’t know how to install it. Before ubuntu I’m using windows xp, the installation process in windows xp and ubuntu are different. I don’t have any experience in ubuntu and I want to install vb.net in it. Please help me for installation and suggest me some tips for installation.please me help me out.

Re: how to install vb.net on ubuntu

Unfortunately .net is specific to windows. You will get a smaller version for linux called ‘mono’, but it is still the equivalent to .net 2.0.
    To install mono, run code:
    sudo apt-get install mono
    it is very said for the user who are using ubuntu, because they can’t use .net frame work in ubuntu like in windows.

I think you are just a beginner in programming language. If you are interested in programming then you must know about the compatibility of platform of different languages. It is not java to run on any platform. installing .net on ubuntu will never happen and I will never suggest you look into mono if you are just beginner. As far as installing vb.net on ubuntu as concern , I will suggest you to stick on windows it will probably be your best for you because there is no other option you have.

.Net framework don’t work on ubuntu, it is windows specific, and you can’t do much about this. The mono project provide you some support, but I am still forced you to use virtualbox in order to do most of .net programming.
    However if you really want an alternative then:
    Code: sudo apt-get install mono
    You can found some help in man pages. If you want an IDE, then code:
    sudo apt-get install monodevelop

You have to use mono for doing that, because you can’t install vb.net without using mono in ubuntu. Mono only supports up to .NET 3.5 which is just about everything but tuples, the Entities Framework for database connectivity, 3.5 primarily uses LINQ-to-SQL, and some of the other syntactic sugar added in the newest version of .NET. Mono Develop doesn't support the 'Attach to process...' feature found in VS which is used to debug dll (dynamic link library) source by actively debugging it while it's running in a process. Mono Develop doesn't support Win Forms or WPF. Essentially, you can't create windows proprietary GUIs. Namely, standard Win forms, WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation), or Silver light (A minimal web based version of WPF) GUI's. IE, if your class involves GUI development this can be a severe limitation. These are some of the limitation using mono in ubuntu, so better you install and run .net in windows.

As far as my programming knowledge as concern you can’t use vb.net or any .net framework language in ubuntu until you use mono. you need to use mono on it to install vb.net on it. Mono does have VB.NET language support but the framework is somewhat different in places and I’d predict that as much of your work will be about the .NET framework as it is the core language. It might not be as it sounds like it’s at a fairly elemental level (no offence intended!), Even if the work is just a language-orientated.