Thread: windows xp pro freezes after 20 seconds

windows xp pro freezes after 20 seconds

Ok here's the problem.. No matter safe mode or normal my windows xp pro will freeze after some 20 seconds booting to the desktop.. Except when i boot into safe mode with command prompt..with this mode i noticed that explorer.exe is not running while cmd.exe is.. But if i start explorer.exe ,after a few seconds it will freeze, but if i don't start explorer.exe the freezing wont happen..sometimes extracting files using WinRAR through cmd also triggers the freeze..this haven't always happen..my laptop isn't new..i have use it for a long time

re: windows xp pro freezes after 20 seconds

If your command prompt is running then i will advise you to run the System File Checker Command from the same. This command will check for the Corruption in Windows File System and advise you with the possible solution to correct the same. Just open Command Prompt from Start>Run>CMD and hit enter. Now type "sfc/scannow" in command prompt and hit enter. This will take time to detect the problem and solution for same.

I think that might not be possible as sfc has been disabled(i installed vista transformation pack) and my cd drive is faulty.

Sometimes windows would freeze or show a 0x000000c5 bsod.. Recently i ran eventvwr and found an atapi error it says device\ide\ideport1 did not respond within..

This is the error related to the Hard disk when it is not responding to the system. Regarding this issue i will advise you to run some diagnostic tools and check for the status of the Hard Disk. You can run the HD Tune which is the software to detect the problem related to the hard disk and report it to user. You can get more information about this error on link given below.

error msg. - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1 did not respond within the timeout period

Ok HD TUNE give me this a c4 reallocated event count and c5 current pending sector Warning.. What should I do?

Re: windows xp pro freezes after 20 seconds

Any solution for my problem?

It seems to be the issue with Hard drive which might be corrupted and that is why giving you the issue with the same. I will advise you to take a back up of the Hard drive and then perform the clean installation of the Operating System which might resolve the issue with the same. If possible then delete the partition and create new partition.

I know that will solve it but i can't reinstall because i dont have a working cd drive. Now i am trying to install WINXP Recovery console manually to my c drive.

If you are not having the Working CD driver and having the USB drive then you can install the Windows XP easily. You can go through the below given links which is having the step by step information for the Installation of Windows XP through USB drive. So if you can then go through the same and see whether this is working for you or not.
    Install Windows XP from USB
    How to install XP from USB?