Thread: windows 7: not able to play .wmv video file

windows 7: not able to play .wmv video file

Recently bought an Acer Aspire laptop with the windows 7 platform, other machine specifications are like 3GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive. I am using all default programs provided by windows version that I am using. I basically use this machine for the official purpose like internet surfing and other home entertainment purpose like watching movies and videos and listening songs. The problem is that, I am not able to play any .wmv video file in windows media player. I tried with the other format, where some of them are playing but only the .wmv is not playing. What should I do to play this file? While drag the file into the player window it shows a option “opening media file”, and then flashes a message the video is not allowed to play in this player. Any input on this problem will be greatly appreciated…

Re: windows 7: not able to play .wmv video file

I think this file might be open from the player library, open the windows media player application window and from there open the playlist or library, from there browse and select the file that you are willing to play, I hope by this you will be able to play the video file. Along with that try to play another .wmv file format, whether this is plying or not. If this plays then make sure that there must be any problem with the file format. Change the desire file format and then try to play the file into the player. If you are facing still the same problem then, I suggest you to download the latest version of windows media player from the Microsoft official web sites, and make sure that, the version is compatible with the windows 7 platform that you are using.

Re-install the windows media player by the following process; this will definitely help you to solve the issue. To re-install open the control panel and now precede to program and features option, from that window turn off windows features, this situated in the left panel of the program and feature window. Before that open they media feature tab option and uncheck "Windows Media Player". Exit from there and reboot your machine. Now re-proceed to the same location and turn on the windows features along with that turn on the windows media player feature option, remember that while you turn off the windows media center also might be disable. Now open the player application and try to play that particular file, I hope this time it will definitely play the video.

I would like to suggest you to upgrade the windows media player version, if you are using a earlier version then go for the media player 11 or 12 version. I had the similar issue with some of the file extension which was not playing into the windows media player, then one of friend suggest me to upgrade the version of the player, and now I am able to play almost maximum types of media files into windows media player. After this if you are still having the similar issue, I would like to recommend you to download and install .wmv converter from internet, it available in different web sites. Download and install into your machine, open the application window and convert the file extension that you are not able to play, as per my knowledge I think the .wma file extension will play in the windows media player. Go through this, it will definitely helps you.

I had the similar issue with the .wmv video file format, after upgrade my machine into windows 7 platform. Though this file format is playing perfectly in windows XP machine. I tried a lot to play that file into the windows 7 machine, but fail every time. After that I install VLC media player, it is an awesome player, by this player you can able to play any type of media file with any type of file extension. I would like to suggest you to install VLC media player, this will allow you to play the file format that you are trying to play. Apart from that you can also try another way to solve this issue, install the codec file for windows media player, this one might be also helps you to play .wmv video files.