Thread: Enabling numlock at booting in Mint 10

Enabling numlock at booting in Mint 10

I was having Linux Mint 10 operating system installed on my Acer Aspire 4920 Notebook and my system was working fine. As soon as new Mint 10 version was released, I installed Linux Mint 10 on my Acer Aspire 4920 system. Also I updated my system by installing latest update patch and I have also installed Kaspersky antivirus software so that my system could be protected from adware, malware etc. I wanted to enable the Number lock while my system is booting but I am unaware of the steps to do it and therefore I need a solution describing the steps which will help me in enabling number lock without any error.

Re: Enabling numlock at booting in Mint 10

You can easily enable number lock on the system while it is booting. To enable the number lock on the system you may need to follow the steps given below:
    1. You need to install Package Manager on your system. After the installation of Package Manager you need to launch it by double clicking on it.
    2. In the Package Manager, you need to go to the Preferences/Startup Applications and from the startup application you may need to add a launcher for numlockx.
    3. You may need to click on the “Add” button and then enter the following details such as
      • Name = numlockx
      • Command = numlockx on
      • Description = enable numlock at startup
    4. Save these setting now the number lock will be enabled at the time of booting.

To enable the number lock at the time of booting you may need to install numlockx by typing the given below command in the terminal window:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install numlockx
    After the installation of numlockx you may need to add a new entry in the Xsession file by following the steps given below:
    Code:
    sudo vim /etc/X11/Xsession
    You need to scroll the page until you see the line “exit (0)”. After you find “exit (0)” you need to paste the code given below above it:
    Code:
    # Turn on numlock when X starts.
    if [ -x /usr/bin/numlockx ]; then
        /usr/bin/numlockx on
    Fi
    Now you need to save this file and restart the system to check if the number lock has been enabled at booting time.

Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution it was possible for me to enable the number lock at the time when the system starts up. I wanted to know if there is some software available through which I can enable number lock because typing the above given code in very pathetic job. I need a solution describing the software which will help me in enabling the number lock when the system is booting.

You can enable number lock in Linux platform while it is booting by making use of KDE software. KDE software provides an integrated set of cross-platform applications designed to run on Linux. You need to install KDE application on your system. After installing you need to launch it by double clicking on it from the desktop. You need to click on the Peripherals menu from KDE window and select “Keyboards”. In the Keyboards option you will be having two options for the Numlock on KDE startup. To enable number lock you need to click on Turn on option button and the number lock will be enabled at the time of system startup.