Thread: Preventing auto logout in to Linux Mint

Preventing auto logout in to Linux Mint

Well I have recently installed Linux Mint into my system. After being idle about for 10 minutes I am getting logout from the system. I need to enter password to login. I am really frustrated with this problem. I think it’s very silly situation that I am facing. I tried many tricks and tweaks but still I am facing the same problem. Is there any one with the same problem please reply? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

Re: Preventing auto logout in to Linux Mint

I was also having the same problem with me. But it is slightly different from yours. Well I was using Ubuntu with the version of 10.04. In my case I was logout while doing some work on my system such as typing email or chatting with my friend. I think it may be possible that I am hitting some specific keys such as shift or enter. Unluckily all my work that I have done is lost after login again. I am not getting why is it happening so? Please help.

Please try the following steps I think it may help you out from these annoying situation. Select Preferences into Menu. Select Screensaver and remove and you should check Lock screen when screensaver is active. Now into Menu go for Preferences and select Power Management and you have to set management parameters. Now you have to press Alt + F2, a dialog box will open on the screen. Type “gconf-editor” and you should click on Run. Click on app under gconf-editor menu and now you have to launch Gnome Power Manager Now you should click on Lock. You have to search for Suspend, Hibernate in to right side pane and unchecked the same. Using following steps your system won’t logout when the system is idle.

Well I really don’t know any solution about your situation that you have mentioned in your question. But I can give you some tricks that may help you to login and logout in the system on the basis of time. For e.g. a user abc is able to login in to system 10 am to 8 pm by adding this line of code in to time.conf in the root directory. It is described as follow. You should add login|gdm;*;abc;Al1000-2000 at the end of the /etc/security/time.conf file in the root directory. ? Using above line of code user abc will be able to login into system during 10.00 am to 8.00 pm on each and every day of the week. I will be really happy if the information that I have mentioned above is helpful to you in any manner.

I want to tell you certain steps that I have mentioned below. Try it in your System I hope it will help you. If you are having shell that has read /etc/profile then you can add the following line of the code. TMOUT=N press enter. export TMOUT press enter. For your information if you are using Debain then you have to add TMOUT=N into /etc/environment. In the both e.g. N means time in the seconds.If you are using shell of *sh family then you have to add set autologout = 15 into edit /etc/csh.cshrc. Just try it the above mentioned code I hope it will help you to solve your problem. Please let me know if my suggestion is worked for you. If it is not working then you can search on other forum for the solution.