Thread: Where to put swap partition in Linux

Where to put swap partition in Linux

I just don’t have any idea about where I can put the swap partition of my hard drive in Linux. Is this possible to set my swap partition on my SSD or on my secondary HD with home partition? Or does this matter? Please some professional or some well known person help me to know this. And please provide me some information about my post that is where I can put my swap partition? Any information or any help will be appreciated.

Re: Where to put swap partition in Linux

I have my swap on the similar Hard Drive which I have my and home partitions that is Secondary, and exterior at that. Even though, there is a few which would say a small Swap on the main and a little Swap on the Secondary tend to provide a Raid effect to the Swap System. I have not at all attempted this, and was below the consciousness that Swap was a must. I am not puzzled this statement, I have just not at all attempted it. An additional World of Possibilities.

Here I just want to add something. For swap you require an individual partition. It has one more file system as /home; it is not possible to put swap into /home. I tested with 1 interior hard disk as primary partition, within an extensive partition no dissimilarity; even no swap made troubles. Thus as a usual user with no hang up to disk it plays no part.

Typically an SSD drives is quicker and has inferior latency than a usual hard drive, other than that it does not matter a lot. The majority of Linux distributions even if they need a swap partition or file while installed being fraction of that installation process but do not make any exercise of the swap area, if your hardware is sufficient to that task of running the OS and applications; as you have sufficient RAM and system storage and are not at the least for use of the hardware with that setup software.

I in my opinion Mint 10 64 bit Gnome did not allocate a swap partition at all, because I think 4 GB of RAM can hold the whole thing. Until now my setting up is superfast, receptive and it not at all manages to eat extra than 900 MB of my memory even while running browsers and other concentrated applications. As well, I would not put a swap partition on a SSD.