Thread: Gnome or Unity for Linux Mint 11

Gnome or Unity for Linux Mint 11

By means of the entire gossip about Ubuntu 11.04 switching from Gnome to Unity as the default desktop, Mysterious things is what Linux Mint 11 desktop would be having? In my opinion this is an awful decision for Canonical to create, particularly if Unity is as unthemable and unbalanced as I have been hearing! What is the so good by switching from a stable, themable, and working desktop environment to a charming, but unstable desktop? Heck, I would moderately utilize Enlightenment than make use of Unity.

My guess is that Unity resolve to be moreover unbalanced for the regular user by the time 11.04 comes up and Ubuntu will slide from Distrowatch's #1 position. This will offer Linux Mint a major opportunity to turn into number one. But further than that, this will provide Linux Mint a possibility to finish being an "Ubuntu Derivative" and develop into a distribution in its own right. My estimation is that Linux Mint desires to dump Ubuntu, and deposit all effort in creation of LMDE the main version. What vital packages Debian lacks as a base, would always be able to ported from Ubuntu, Fedora, or even compiled from scratch.

Re: Gnome or Unity for Linux Mint 11

Unity is from 11:04 Ubuntu in the normal desktop version as the user interface are also used. While Gnome is the default desktop environment, but the shell should be replaced by the Ubuntu's own Unity. So far, Unity was developed only for netbooks and been optimized. Mark Shuttleworth on the Ubuntu developer's conference in Florida announced its decision, the Netbook-Shell Unity on the desktop version of Ubuntu use. It will replace the previously used Gnome interface. Unity Desktop was introduced in version 10.10 officially as the user interface for the Netbook variant. Unity is scheduled to be version 11:04 in all Ubuntu versions are used.

So far, Unity has been developed specifically for use on netbooks. The user interface is currently on the graphical framework mother and requires a 3D-capable video driver. According to Ubuntu Developer Jono Bacon staff working currently working to Unity Compiz framework to port to it. In his blog, Bacon emphasized , however, that Canonical is set to continue Gnome. Only the user interface should be replaced.

This leaves but before the Gnome version 3.0 targeted for new Gnome shell, at least with Ubuntu outside. The Gnome-Shell continues to focus on the mother framework. According to the Shuttleworth was one of the reasons that Canonical wants to give his own desktop preference. Another is the different opinion to those used in the Unity desktop, so-called global menus that are opposed to the Gnome developers.

Unity offers a reduced menu due to gobal surface: The notification widgets are integrated into the respective window bar of an open application. The status bar is completely missing. This requires the relocation of the window buttons advance to the left edge of the taskbar, the Shuttleworth led already in version 10.04. At the left edge of desktop shortcuts to important applications and system settings are placed.

Gnome developers the Zeitgeist framework not devote the attention it deserves in his opinion. Ubuntu will rely more on the spirit that now collects the user activity and related information, such as chat logs throughout the system provides. In the future, the spirit, the traditional store information in individual files, complete replacement. Moreover, the Unity Desktop for use with multi-touch devices are optimized. A preliminary version of the framework for input via a touch Canonical had recently introduced. The default implementation of the Unity shell provides developers with the task of the future to develop for different user interfaces. Shuttleworth wants but with the freedesktop.org project work together to guarantee a uniform development. As an example of the consolidation of various desktop systems integration DBus calls Shuttleworth on Ubuntu.

Unity is not an operating system. Ubuntu is the operating system, the Gnome desktop environment. Unity is to be only the (pre) alternative to the Gnome shell. All other programs that are part of the GNOME project are to remain in the future for Ubuntu to receive. By that I mean Empathy, Gedit, Evolution, all the GTK libraries... There is no one forcing you to use Unity. When you sign in you will be able to specify whether you want to start Unity or the old GNOME desktop. I'm sure it will be possible to remove it and Unity. Are you all about the used disk space on your hard drive? It will not really be worth mentioning. There is only one component of GNOME, Canonical now wants to replace. All the rest is part of the operating system on Ubuntu. Does it up the same way if you have installed two different music programs, video programs, text editors or browsers? I see there just is not much difference. And if Unity is then usable or like it, you can watch again, if it is sometimes done. But you know that the GNOME project also working on the GNOME shell? Do you like better than Unity? The "old" GNOME desktop that is, it looks like now, no longer being developed, corrected mistakes, etc.