Thread: Virtualbox Guest Addition Not being installed in Linux Mint 9

Virtualbox Guest Addition Not being installed in Linux Mint 9

I have been making use of the Linux Mint 9 xfce that is on the machine of the 64 bit machine and also I have been using a variety of the system along with it. Also the main problem is that I am running the system of the Linux Mint 9 in the Virtualbox on Windows 7. And whenever I try to install the guest addition of the Virtual box the message that I get is given below:
    Code:
    Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules ...fail!
    Your system does not seem to be set up to build kernel modules.
    Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong. Once you have corrected it, you can run

/etc/init.d/vboxadd setup

to build them.
    And when after that the files are being logged the message that is being showed by it as given below:

Code:
    Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 2.6.32-21-generic cannot be found at
    /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/build or /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/source.
    You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it's located.

Please tell me the solution through which the Guest Addition of the virtual box be installed in the system that is being used by me.

Re: Virtualbox Guest Addition Not being installed in Linux Mint 9

In actual it is that you are missing out some of the important files that is required for the installation of the Virtualbox guest Addition. And so that you are getting the error; when you are just trying to compile the files in the system that is being used by you. You just require installing some of the required file that is important for the compilation, so you got to type in the Linux open terminal the code that is being given below:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-2.6.32-21
    This will help you out for the installation of the files that are of importance for you.

And also it is that you can make use of the graphical way that can be done by simply going to the Programs files in that you require to go to the Administration and then you have make it to the Synaptic issues also. In that you have got to the option of the Synaptic package Manager and then you got to start searching for the build in the essential that are important for the system that you are making use of. And also the fact is that the command line that is being used is simpler, faster and also can help you out for the issues that are causing the problems for the installation of the Virtualbox that is having the guest addition of the files.

The other option is that you can make the use of the tool called the HOWTO that is basically used for the installation of the files of the Guest Addition along with the Xorg configuration that is already present for the system that you are making use of. And also it would be always impossible for the installation of the methods that are having the different graphical environments. And also keep in mind that whenever any of the commands are being run ten they are going to run on the root itself and not anywhere else.

Hey thank you for the advice that you have just given because it has claimed out perfectly fine for the Linux Mini 9 that you are just making use of. At some point of time I thought that I am just doing things that should be not done for the system that you are just making use of. And also I have tried the option of the running of the package manager that showed up with the use of the dkms and also the build that is essential with the Linux headers that are not being used for the system that is of Linux Mint that you are just making use of.