Thread: Is Pulse Audio a trajedy in linux

Is Pulse Audio a trajedy in linux

I guess developers have forgot to correct the problems regarding the PulseAudio in newer versions of the Linux as there no changes have made since the release of 8th version of an Ubuntu 8.04 as this operating system refuses to give sound on my machine. My machine has a better sound card as well as PCI card. Now they have added the same thing to KDE and Xubuntu. Is it in the Mint XFCE as well or what? Cane somebody please recommend me modern user friendly distro which doesn't uses this freaky audio program?

Re: Is Pulse Audio a trajedy in linux

I think you should start installing the the actual XFCE version which is Mint 9 XFCE. Here PulseAudio is not installed so there won't be any problem for this version to get messed up with the sound server such as PluseAudio. But according to me, Even Pluseaudio does not show issues all the time unless and until you machine has sufficient things that are needed to make this server working properly.

Is there a way to SFML a sound server (in Linux) to speak directly to? SFML appeals to ALSA, but ALSA is just sometimes blocked by pulseaudio. I've googled a lot, but found nothing. Does not look as if something SFML already support. Is it possible to hammer out the iwie? Perhaps so much so that one can choose the program which sound server should be used?

Thx in advance for your answers!

No, the sound server you can not choose. Actually, your system should also manage the reasonable. Finally, a sound server can usually manage not just a name, but mixes together several. Since SFML OpenAL uses, it really does not care about the backend. I doubt that such things will also be installed ever since it is specific to the OS. Maybe you need to customize your system configuration in any way. As far as I have the time tested (not use Pulse Audio), gets the Pulseaudio but also points, even on multiple ALSA connections because Pulseaudio them - again as I recall - Encapsulates.

First, check whether your sound card is recognized by Ubuntu. Ubuntu uses to control the sound card ALSA And constitutes the kernel modules (drivers) are available. ALSA is already installed, you must download and install the driver so no sound - how to do that in Windows is often used.
    Code:
      cat / proc / asound / cards
    If Recognition works

A functioning detection for example, looks like this:
    Code:
      0 [CMI8738MC6]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6
                           C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0xD800, irq 19
      1 [V8237]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
                           VIA 8237 with AD1888 at 0xe000, irq 20
    Here are two sound cards were detected by ALSA: a CMI card with the number "0" and the ALSA-called "CMI8738MC6", and a VIA card with the number "1" and the ALSA-called "V8237". If a card with the name "UART" are found, this provides an interface to MIDI dar. MIDI who says nothing that can ignore it. ALSA can also detect TV cards, of which one should not also be irritated.

Now Play
    If ALSA has detected a card, so check if the sound system receiving data will:
    Code:
      aplay / usr / share / sounds / startup.wav
    From Intrepid Ibex exists / usr / share / sounds / startup.wav not, you have to use a different wav file so, for example,
    Code:
      aplay / usr / share / sounds / alsa / Front_Center.wav
    Here, the output should look something like this:
    Code:
    Play Wave '/ usr / share / sounds / startup.wav': Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Sampling Rate: 44100 Hz, stereo
    This means that the file is played - whether you hear it or not. I got a little display quite different, so already the transfer of the file fails because of the sound system. More on that later.