Thread: Linux Mint 9 VS Linux Mint 10

Linux Mint 9 VS Linux Mint 10

Currently I am using a Linux Mint 8 on my desktop system and I guess it would be supported till this April after which I am looking forward to install the latest version or may be 9th version if there are much problems in using the latest one. Can somebody tell me that which should I install on my machine as I am a newbie to this operating system and loved the 8th version but if I install the Linux Mint 10 then it might not be possible to install a bit older then the current one. So please suggest me better opinion and what are differences between these both the versions of an operating system?

Re: Linux Mint 9 VS Linux Mint 10

The first was last November the world the latest version of Linux Mint 10 aka "Julia". The aesthetics and ergonomics are the honor points for this release.

Home Screen now offers two new possibilities are adding multimedia codecs (Add Multimedia Codecs) and Updated to Version DVD (Upgrade to the DVD Editon). These functions are intended for those whose audio and video codecs (files for playing media files) will not install by default for legal reasons local. To facilitate the identification of software you just installed, a highlight of these was set up. The search function, a feature that I love, you can now, in addition to research software, the availability of software not installed in your deposits and allows the installation of these without having to go through the Manager Software. A search engine is integrated into the menu. It displays the results related to keywords you enter. Different types of searches like Google, wikipedia, dictionary definitions, tutorials and even other Linux users mint are available through the interface. To top it off, the menu now supports bookmarks GTK and GTK themes and size of icons is resizable

Improvements in Linux Mint 10

• Manager software categorizes software and application icons
    • Manager update allows you to ignore selected packages
    • Manager uploads

In regard to ergonomics and aesthetics, Linux mint returns to its theme clear and dark background that contrasts perfectly with its metallic appearance, it is called X-Mint. The beautiful wallpapers of this version have been created from the works of these artists: kampongboy92 , treeish , Sssilent and theaeffect . The default wallpaper is the work of emvalibe. For highlighting an Artistic which is more focused in any Linux operating system, brushed metal has been applied to the brushed metal menu and home screen. It represents the metallic appearance of the aesthetic General. The theme Mint X brings the metallic finish some software such as menu, rhythmbox and some widgets. Mint X icons are done very aesthetic and representative of the software they reference.

Systems improvements
    1. Adobe Flash Linux Mint has the most recent Adobe Flash "Square" to facilitate the platforms 32 bit (as per lying on your edition of Linux Mint). This plugin is quicker than its ancestor, particularly in full screen
    2. A non-free version of Oracle Virtualbox has been added to existing packages, it supports USB ports. The only negative point is that the table is not free software
    3. Deposits are not accompanied by signed more warning. With respect to the unsigned, the warning is replaced by a confirmation request
    4. The "highlight" utilized by "apt" is now quicker and more consistent
    5. The upstream components of Linux Mint 10 are now Ubuntu 10.10, Linux 2.6.35, GNOME 2.32, Xorg 7.5.
    6. Linux mint 9 I packed, but "Julia" was really amazed!

Personally I have installed Linux Mint 10 on 2 machines, my wife and my daughter's system. As it is very suitable for simple and need to look very neat. It is a coveted distribution, if we had to DistroWatch. And with the choice made by ubuntu, which are certainly legitimate, Mint is an alternative to those who want another choice. Already today that prefer Pidgin to Empathy and Thunderbir to Evolution, from a base for its Mint distro, is not stupid at all.

Mint is an excellent choice for the distribution, but its theme is a bit "childish" , Can distribute important that you choose you can change the theme without any worries to your preference. Then even though Linux Mint is to seduce you must:
    • The mint menu gnome menu best by far, a pure gem default on linux mint but can be added on another distribution (I install on my debian)
    • Ready "Out the Box"
    • Following overlay graphics mint: Mint install, Mint Menu, Mint update, etc.., performed much better than that proposed under ubuntu
    From my side I'm using Debian testing and I am very happy, I like the side maximum free distribution. If I switched to Debian that is largely because ubuntu is a bad way (I already explained this in other posts) and I feel more at ease on a debian. In terms of Fedora and Mandriva, I try and I did not, I let the fans tell you about these distros? Otherwise what is your level of Linux? Can you possibly be interested in a distribution more "power user" like gentoo or archlinux.