Thread: Troubleshooting sleep mode in Mint 10

Troubleshooting sleep mode in Mint 10

I was having Linux Mint 10 operating system installed on my Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop. Last night only I have upgraded my Linux Mint 10 with the latest update and my system was working. We were having option available in windows XP operating system through which we can turn off the sleep mode. As I am the new user for the Linux platform I want to turn off the sleep mode in my Mint 10 operating system but I am not aware of the steps to do it and therefore I need a solution through which I can turn off the sleep mode in my Mint 10 operating system.

Re: Troubleshooting sleep mode in Mint 10

Mint 10 operating system is the advanced version of all the other Linux operating system and Min t10 operating system us more secured than windows XP operating system. You can turn off the sleep mode in windows operating system by entering into the power management from the control panel. In the power management window you may need to click on the sleep mode tab. Click on the "activate sleep mode when computer is idle” checkbox and the sleep mode will be turned off.

If the above solution has been failed and you can’t disable the sleep mode then in that case you must follow the steps given below to manually disable the sleep mode:
    1. You need to login into the system and start the terminal window by right clicking on the desktop.
    2. In the terminal window you may need to type “/etc/rc.sysinit” command and hit the enter key.
    3. You need to set its vale to 0 and exit the terminal window.
    4. The sleep mode will be disabled.

Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given both the solutions I have opened the terminal window and typed the above given command and changed the value to 0. The sleep mode has been disabled. I am having Redhat operating system installed on another drive of my system. I wanted to set the Set Sleep Mode for my redhat operating system but I do not know the steps to do it and therefore I need a solution which will help me in enabling the sleep mode.

You can easily set the sleep mode for Redhat operating system. You need to follow the steps given below to set the sleep mode for redhat operating system:
    • You need to start the system and login into it as administrator.
    • Select system and then click on preferences tab.
    • Select power management and double click on it to open it.
    • Select on "Spin down hard disks when possible" button and then click on close button. If you want your system to sleep while the laptop is battery powered, click the tab and select the same option, then click "Close". The sleep mode will be enabled.