Thread: Boot failure after updating Debian operating system

Boot failure after updating Debian operating system

From last one year I have been using Debian operating system on my Acer Aspire 4920 Notebook. I was also having McAfee antivirus with the latest update so that my system could be protected from virus, adware etc. Last night while browsing the internet I found the latest update for my Debian operating system. So I downloaded and installed it on my system. After the installation of update I restarted the system but my system is not booting and I am stuck. Now I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this problem and my system could start booting without any problem.

Re: Boot failure after updating Debian operating system

You should regularly update the operating system by downloading and installing latest available patch from the operating system manufacturer’s website. If you have installed a wrong update which you haven’t downloaded from the manufacturer website then it might create. If the system is not booting after updating it then in that case there might be update problem. You should remove the update from the operating system and check if the booting problem has been resolved. After the system has been restarted, you can then download the proper update from the operating system manufacturer and install it.

After installing the update for your Debian operating system, if the system fails to boot then you can easily resolve this issue. You need to follow the steps given below to restart the system:
    1. You must try installing no symmetric multiprocessing option to your kernel line in Debian operating system.
    2. You need to enter live DVD in the DVD-ROM drive and restart your system.
    3. When the system restarts you will get a message "automatic boot in 10 secs" and you need to press the enter key.
    4. You need to highlight the Debian operating system and press “e” key from the keyboard.
    5. Use the cursor to browse to the line that ends with "quiet splash". When you have finished editing the kernel line, press Ctrl-x key to boot.
    6. The system will start to boot.

I was having problem such that my system was not booting after installing update for my operating system. Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given both the solutions, I have tried all of them but still my system could not be restarted. Now I want to recover my system and therefore I need a solution which will help me in recovering my system so that I can use my system as usual as I was using it before.

If your system is not getting started then you can recover it by making use of Linux Boot CD. To recover the system with Linux Boot CD you must follow the steps given below:
    1. You need to download and burn a bootable rescue CD image of your operating system on your system.
    2. You should insert the rescue CD in to the CD-ROM and restart the system. You may need to alter the computer's BIOS settings so that it boot from the CD-ROM drive rather than from the hard disk.
    3. You can enter into the BIOS settings by pressing DEL hey from the keyboard. You need to log in to the rescue operating system.
    4. Now you can try to repair your operating system installed on the hard drive and the system will be recovered.