Thread: Linux: Recently installed apps not showing up in the menu

Linux: Recently installed apps not showing up in the menu

Hello friends, I am right now working with the Linux Operating system and I am very new to Linux. I have used the package manager to set up several applications however they are not displayed in the menu. When I attempt to insert a latest thing there do not show up as being available. Rather in windows XP and so on the applications are within the program files directory. Although where are they in Linux OS. And after running the mint update my VMware virtual box XP doesn't work anymore moreover. Please help me.

Re: Linux: Recently installed apps not showing up in the menu

You regularly simply have to right click on the menu push button and choose reload plugins to perceive the installed application displayed on the menu. Occasionally you have to insert a launcher in the menu by yourself. One of the better instances of that is adding up ligthtscribe simple menu. Here is that: Go to the Downloads part from lightscribe and acquire the two deb packages, then twicely click to install. File position: Filesystem/opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler
    Now from the Main Menu, click on to the System option and from that select the Preferences, in that go at the Applications click Accessories to the left, then to the right hit New Item.

Several applications displayed up in the menu, and several don't, and others have no UI to run. At times there is a UI, but it's a break up application. It can be very confusing for us MS converts. Adding up a launcher is extremely simple. Just right-click on the Menu button, choose "Edit menu", and after that choose the group you want it in, and "New Item". Enter the name - it can be whatever thing that you desire. Enter the command. Searching for the command commonly isn't also awful. I open Nautilus and go to File System in the left window, then to usr/bin. I have constantly originated the command I wanted there. Observe that you can press the small launcher image and select your own image. I maintain a group of icons in a detach folder and connect to those when making the launcher. Icons can be established at /usr/share/icons - and extra positions. at times I just go to Google and discover my own, but more frequently than not there is a ideal sign in /usr/share/icons and all its sub-folders.

The entire installed applications have a script file -- frequently in ' /usr ' or else ' /opt ' which will start on the application while the script file is run. Although to locate this script file is a huge difficulty. once you locate the script file you can generate a desktop icon launcher by right clicking on desktop and entering the launch dialogue box in ' command ' frequently the script file is in ' /usr/xxxx/=script ' or several sub folder. If you have file manager and locate a questionable script file, immediately double click on it and if it start on you can set up a desktop icon.

Try with command line part; in Linux open up the terminal option form that. For opening it go at the application, in that you select the option Accessories, now you will get the Terminal. Also now it will display up the Window with the prompt and also with the flashing pointer. In that you type the command and attempt ls –I. Try date. Google Linux Command Line boundary for an enormous amount of information regarding How to perform it. Several natives encompass favorites, which will undoubtedly explain up at this point.

At the underneath of the applications set of choices here is an Add/Remove applications association that allows you add and remove applications through the menu. To begin an application through the terminal immediately find the ways to the directory wherever it's installed and enter the name of the program and strike the Enter button. If that doesn’t help you out then you can attempt it with a ". /" ./someprogram. I hope this helps.