Thread: Dual boot linux mint 10 with windows xp

Dual boot linux mint 10 with windows xp

I reinstalled Linux lmde exclusive of the bootloader and the whole thing was extremely well. Additional than the mbr was previously messed up, so when I boot the system I go to the grub liberate prompt. I have comprised previously endeavor it, additional than by means of no success. I do have comprised an usb stick and be able to do it, additional than what for. Be supposed to I recover it first to erase what grub write there (and does not work) I have comprised and decided to inaugurate a dual boot utilizing the LiveCD of Mint 10 onto the (extremely) previous desktop working with Windows XP. I have comprised and made space and readied it for installation additional than at present I have comprised come to installing Mint the LiveCD would not recognise XP. The merely alternative presented are to erase the complete disk and install Linux or to identify partitions physically; "install alongside additional operating systems" is nowhere to be originate mint is viewing the Windows HD extremely well and I be able to have right of entry the files, and I made certain the drive was mounted when I ran the installer additional than it tranquil would not work.

Re: Dual boot linux mint 10 with windows xp

I had the similar tribulations. I set up a moderately complicated Virtual Box surroundings complete by means of separate NTFS, FAT32, and EXT4 data separation and had installed BootItNG in the MBR for the reason by means of the intention of the entire my real systems utilize BootITNG to multiboot. Endeavor to inaugurate GRUB into sda1 where LMDE presided and got wedged in "Configuring bootloader". Out of extreme anxiety I started the entire in excess of again and this time endeavor to position GRUB into sda ( MBR ) - by means of the intention of did not work moreover. It turned out by means of the intention of for a number of reason the NTFS separation was corrupted in some technique so subsequent to eliminating it and installing the entire in excess of again I was capable to install GRUB in sda1 approximating I wanted. It's when I endeavor to mount the NTFS separation by means of the intention of I realized with the intention of it might not for the reason by means of the intention of some error which I fail to remember at the moment.

On the other hand, for the reason by means of the intention of I had to boot the DVD into compatibility mode, I had a console open and might investigate what was departing on. It turned out by means of the intention of the installer hung endeavoring to mount an NTFS separation, at the same time as searching for additional bootable OSes to add to the boot menu. In the following I encompass one harddisk "/dev/sda" with 2 separations, "/dev/sda1" by means of a Windows XP installation and "/dev/sda2" in which I desire to inaugurate LMDE. The first predicament is an unfinished installation. Reboot and redo the installation, choose to not inaugurate the bootloader/GRUB. The installation is supposed to at present run to completion. At present most of them have comprised to install the bootloader ourselves.

I am still waiting for your commands subsequent to one day of discussion crash altair4 I not be able to eliminate the ntfs separation, my friend would kill me. By means of the intention of is a windows xp separation. I desire to demonstrate the linux is superior, other than I tranquil have comprised to fix the wireless drives, cause wireless, by means of the live cd, merely works extremely near the router. ahulsbos, your instructions are extremely problematical. I determine to endeavor, if I do not have comprised several easier explanations. In fact, I previously installed lmde without the bootloader, and the whole thing was extremely well. The tribulations is the messed up MBR, that does not let me boot moreover windows or linux.

I booted by means of the live lmde usb stick to endeavor to install grub, additional than first I required to backup sda1 to a usb hard drive. On my system folder, I had the entire the separation, additional than when I endeavor to mount sda1 (windows separation) to create the backup, I conventional an error: "Unable to mount position communication did not take delivery of a reply (timeout by message bus)" might this be the derivation of the predicament. Might be the reason why the bootloader did not install. First I had endeavored to recover MBR by means of Norton, additional than it did not work. I tranquil not be able to boot windows. Norton did not locate, though, several errors on the ntfs separation. I am working with out of alternative. I just required doing a total backup of the windows separation, and if I not be able to have together systems, installing lmde on the whole disk.

The system determines to boot commencing from the CD, when the Splash screen comes up, prefer the Install alternative.The Grub boot loader determine to be installed during the installation procedure and on one occasion complete, every time you restart your laptop, Grub determine to demonstrate a screen permitting you to select which O.S. to run. It’s easy and painless. Yes, additional than it’s a pain in the to set up. You be able to install it later on, if you desire. I recommend you start by means of the Grub and when you acquire contented by means of Linux, then give the impression of being into switching boot loaders, if you tranquil desire to. Windows 7 tranquil uses a comparable boot archetecture even though not identical as boot.ini is sort-of a fixation of the past. The entire in excess of again, I would imagine it’s the similar as previous to the Linux installer be supposed to have the drive-resize tools required. Create certain to organize linux to be familiar by means of its on an ssd so the file system does not suffer several unnecessary strain commencing from file wear leveling (not a huge tribulations in Linux, additional than a consideration).