Thread: Sound problem in Linux Mint 10

Sound problem in Linux Mint 10

Last night there was virus attack on my Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop, so I formatted and installed Mint 10. Also I updated my Mint 10 operating system with the latest update and installed AVG antivirus so that it can protect my system from virus, malware, adware etc. when I started to play the song in my system then I was facing sound problem. The music was playing perfectly on my laptop and there was sound in my speaker but when I inserted the headphone jack into my laptop to hear the music then there was no sound. I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this problem.

Re: Sound problem in Linux Mint 10

You need to install the sound driver on your system because without the sound driver you will hear any sound. If you are playing song on the laptop and the sound is coming from the speaker then there is not any sound problem. If you have inserted headphone jack into the laptop into the laptop but if there is no sound from the headphone jack then there might be a problem in the laptop. You can check the headphone jack by replacing g it with another headphone jack to check if the sound problem issue has been resolved.

If sound is not coming from the headphone jack that you have connected into the laptop then there might be driver problem. To solve this issue you must update the sound driver with the latest update and check if the issue exists again. Also you may check the driver such that it should not get corrupted. If the sound driver is corrupted then you need to uninstall the driver and then reinstall the driver again. After the driver installation of driver, sound problem will be solved.

Many Dell notebooks use a special type of audio jack. The jacks, along with the sound drivers that are installed, automatically detect whether headphones or speakers are plugged in and adjust the sound output accordingly. If the sound does not appear from the jack then there might be driver problem and updating the driver will resolve this issue.

Whenever you use headphone into your laptop for listening music then you should make sure that the headphone are properly connected into the allocated jack within the system. If the headphone is connected into wrong jack then sound might not appear. If the headphone is connected properly into the allocated jack still no sound is present then in that case you may contact the manufacturer and the headphone sound issue will be resolved.

No sound problem exists with all versions of newer releases of Debian, and Firefox 3.51 and above, and is not releated only to skype. Also windows 7 firefox 3.51 and above no sound from any internet video not only utube.
    The no sound problem seems to be unique to driver called for streaming video or audio. Standalone DVD's, downloaded video and music, play sound OK (uses different sound driver?). There must be special driver for streaming audio/video over the internet. I have not found the answer yet. So in my case I proved it is not unique to any program (skype,utube,firefox) but any program that uses the driver for streaming audio. Any body have any Idea ?????? and, btw this problem did not exist when old firefox 3.5.0 was in use on windows 7 or Linux. I guess is, the updated firefox overlays some streaming audio driver, and this bad driver is present in all new Linux distros at least thoses based on Debian. Anybody have this problem on ReadHat?
    PS my old netbook with WinXP and skype still work fine.

Guys, stop recommending to check the hardware headphones or calling the manufacture. or checking your Qt release. My system worked until operating system or Firefox was updated. It is a software problem. I have been a software developer longer then most of you have been alive trust me. I think we will need an answer from either a Firefox Developer or Linux Developer to get the answer. I will
    try to email one of them for an answer.

Hi steve donato,

I too am a linuxmint gnome user but was just tryin another distro with kde. I had no sound but right clicked and checked the different devices and found pcm and pc speaker options had 0 volume, so increased those and had sound. So I ask you also to please check those before going into detailed trouble shooting. Also check with alsamixer the sound levels for different devices.