Thread: Unable to remove firefox in Linux Mint 10

Unable to remove firefox in Linux Mint 10

I have got a desktop computer, I have just installed a new version of Linux operating system, it is Linux Mint 10 , I have been using Mozilla firefox system in it , but I do not much fancy to use it , so I have just decided to remove it and install a Google Chrome or Opera , but since Linux already comes with a firewall installed in it , how can I possibly remove it, is it possible to remove the software that comes already with it. So please suggest me if you have any sort of idea on this question.

Re: Unable to remove firefox in Linux Mint 10

I too have used Linux , but I have heard for the first time about this version of Linux operating system , if you have worked in Windows xp operating system , you could install and uninstall programs in the control panel there was an option called as Add and Remove , like this each Linux version has a tool called as software package manager ,you can remove the Mozilla Firefox from there .

I think you should not do this . The cause this is done is almost certainly because Linux Mint is gathering advertisement income through their custom This wealth is used to, well, give those people who create Mint so magnificent a So, since you have made your mind to remove , what you can do is you can make Mint Google search as your homepage , come back if you still face the issue.

Yes I was aware about the add and remove programs in the windows operating system , I could remove the programs easily but whenever I attempt to remove Firefox following the path that you had suggested , a program called A Web Browser automatically installs itself as soon as the Mozilla Firefox is uninstalled and as soon as I remove A Web Browser, Firefox will install again by itself. Please let me know if you get solution for this issue.

You can follow the given set of instructions you can Install your browser of your option :
    • You can Install your browser of option.

• You will have to tell system which browser you want to make use of . To do this you will to make use of the console:

• Type the given command
        Code: Select all
        Code:
        sudo update-alternatives --config gnome-www-browser
        Select your new browser from the list (by entering a number which denotes the browser).

• Then Go to the Mint Menu and select Control Center. Then select Preferred Applications.

select the new browser you wish

• Then you will have to remove all th traces of Firefox for that type
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -r --force-depends firefox mint-search-addon firefox-branding firefox-gnome-support mint-meta-gnome