Thread: Removing Indeo codec from windows 7

Removing Indeo codec from windows 7

I was having 60GB of video files thus they were in avi file format. I can play these files in windows media player on my windows XP platform. Now I have upgraded myself from Windows XP to Windows 7. On my windows 7 platform I installed Indeo codec for my avi files. After the installation of new codec when I started to start playing my avi files in windows media player then I get an error message from window media player saying that old Indeo codec are not supported on windows 7 platforms. I need a solution which will help me in uninstalling old codec from my system so that I can play these videos in my windows media player without any error.

Re: Removing Indeo codec from windows 7

You can also install Indeo Video Codec from the “Add/Remove” programs list in windows. The steps to uninstall Indeo codec are given below:
    1. You may need to start the system and then go to Start/ Settings/ Control Panel.
    2. In the Control Panel window, you may need to click on Add/Remove program icon.
    3. A list of program installed on your system will appear. From the list which is displayed you may select Indeo codec and then click on uninstall button.
    4. You need to provide confirmation and the Indeo codec will be uninstalled.

If you are facing problems with Indeo codec such that they are not supported by your windows 7 platform then you may need to remove it from the windows 7 operating system and the problem may be solved. The steps to remove Indeo codec from windows 7 operating system are given below:
    • You may need to start the system and open the Control Panel from the start menu.
    • In the Control Panel window you may need to click on multimedia and then click on advanced tab.
    • If you want to remove audio codec then you may click on the Audio Compression Codec’s, select the codec and then click on the remove button.
    • To remove video codec click on the Video Compression Codec’s, select the codec and then click on the remove button.
    • After removing the codec you may restart the system and the problem of compatibility on windows 7 platform will be resolved.

I was facing problem on my windows 7 platform and because of which I was unable to play AVI files. Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution it was possible for me to remove the codec. Now I want to update my media player with the latest update by automatic download but I am unaware of the steps and therefore I need a solution which will help me updating my media player.

You can update your media player by automatically downloading the updates. You may needs to follow the steps given below to update your media player:
    1. You may need to start the system and double click on windows media player program to launch it.
    2. In the windows media player you may click on the "Player" tab and then click on the "Download Codec Automatically” check box.
    3. Click on ok button and try playing a video. Now the windows media player will start playing the video.