Thread: Kernel hangs at the ACPI in Grub

Kernel hangs at the ACPI in Grub

My old laptop running faithful and the perfect with ubuntu is now deceased, which I'm not completely innocent I had my new laptop Samsung Q310 now. I still have fresh 8:10 relative system on it now to the problems:
    • current kernel 2.6.27-7-generic only starts in recovery mode, otherwise it hangs at the ACPI are full supply.
    • as the new kernel 2.6.27-9-generic and 2.6.27-11-generic, I get easily into the net menu.lst to have tortured.
    I have searched on Google, but didn't find any appropriate solutions. I have also update-grub menu.lst but tried to be found in the kernel does not insert. Now I am expecting a lot from your side.

Re: Kernel hangs at the ACPI in Grub

I was also stuck in similar way some months ago. update-grub does not appear in the recovery mode to do what should make it. So I could start the normal mode I only give ACPI = off it. In any case I could do it because with update-grub edit the menu.lst now successful and consumption in the new kernel not even ACPI = off to give so that my battery indicator and the CPU speed step.

SUSE 10 on External hard drive - boot problems

I installed the new SUSE 10 (Eval DVD) with me on an external hard drive. The partitions are in this order at the "beginning" of the plate and the mount were described conditions (in that order) sda1, sda5, sda6, sda7. Installation:
    1. Booting from DVD (> "Installation")
    2. Package Selection "not unusual"
    3. Boot Manager:
      • Install in the MBR of sda
      • Enable "Boot partition
    4. Other "normal" installation settings
    is>>> install the packages required to restart

>>> Restart

The record does not address whether connected to USB or Firwire (although "Removable Disk" will be called before the hard drive)

>>> Booting from DVD

Change the boot manager in all configurations will be written out to the external drive. I want to express NO Grub / Lilo in the MBR of hda, otherwise the computer only boots with a connected external hard drive. Bootus detects (due to the already installed boot loader) as a bootable partitions:
    • Windows
    • Linux Native sda1 (/ boot)
    • Linux Native sda6 (/)
    I install the bootloader again, this time Lilo (on all 3 possible "Installation type"). Both sda1 and sda6 shows "Lilo" in beautiful, colorful Darling and offers me a selection menu. First looks all nice and comes out to (in sda1 and sda6) an error message:
    "Waiting for device / dev / root to appear .......... not found - exiting to / bin / sh"
    After that only comes a kind of dollar signs and I can at least "reboot" type, but otherwise operate any of the tested commands. Again booting from DVD, then HDD Linux ... I'm writing as "root" and go to Rootterminal. I have now spent about 20 hours with the whole and can not remember more real! Has anyone a quite useful advice??

I have SUSE 10 installed on an external hard drive. sda1 is swap with sda5. So I can boot even if the drive is not connected, I have grub on / dev / sda installed (in the MBR). The system will boot with the OS Selector, a boot manager, the automatic recognizes the opportunities to boot. If the drive is connected, it recognizes them and reboot I can. Then first runs from the usual. In the course will show "Waiting for device / dev/sda1 ...." and it finds that too. Shortly later, the same happens with / dev/sda5. However, it does not sda5. I think that rich should give it some more time to mount the partition. Can I set this time anyway?

I have installed on my external hard drive openSUSE 11. Would also like GRUB on the external hard disk. Currently it boots from the root partition from sda3. This is probably my LinuxMint partition internal hard drive. Now I want to install GRUB on sdb2. There lies my SuSe. It does that also without error. But in reality it changes nothing, because after the boot loader is still on sda3. Can someone help me there?

Hard disks have been quite some time, a self-audit called SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) built. Simple makes SMART error logs said one plate and from the number of errors can be concluded as the disk is still fit, or whether they will probably die soon. It is fatal to rely on SMART - a plate on it can go completely without warning. However, it is also unnsinnig to waive the SMART mechanism, which is available free of charge anyway. SMART also works on Linux. In fact, the "smartmontools" package consists of two things: smartd is a background program that monitors almost a monitor SMART disks automatically. This background program can benefit you, but does not. For the SMART settings and the status of the command "smartctl" relevant. The first step is to check that SMART is enabled on all installed drives. To check whether SMART active on the first drive (HDA) in the computer, this console command is executed:
    • sudo smartctl-a / dev / hda
    Depending on whether or not SMART is enabled, the command an ambitious short and miserable long output. SMART is not enabled on a drive (again the first hard drive HDA) change, then leave the following command:
    • sudo smartctl-s on / dev / hda