Thread: Windows 7 and Grub no longer loaded by recovery

Windows 7 and Grub no longer loaded by recovery

I have a Samsung laptop with a Samsung Recovery installed on system recovery partition apart, then Windows7 pre-loaded on the laptop (I have no Windows 7 CD only backup on external HD), then Ubuntu 4.10. The other day the battery is discharged from the laptop running Ubuntu and turned off automatically. Upon restart I loaded grub but I chose to start Windows 7, which I had problems and had to restore the OS, I chose only retrieves data from the operating system Windows 7, restarts after 2-3 minutes and do not open more grub. I rebooted and it returns to grub, this time I select Ubuntu and start regularly throughout the OS ... everything was right, I thought I had resolved instead. Then I tried to restart and load Windows 7, again the restore procedure and I deleted the grub again ...... how to access Windows 7?

Re: Windows 7 and Grub no longer loaded by recovery

If you're just asking to restore the OS probably because win7 Re-delete the grub is trying to reconfigure properly but for some reason it fails. At that point you should run the command prompt from cd boot Windows 7 restore the system and then restore grub. Well you should have the recovery partition the HDD in PC .. take a look with gparted from Live CD to the structure of the partitions on your hdd. Linux is gracious: it detects a Windows installation in the computer, then it is included in the Grub menu selection as a startup option. Of course, it can also Grub to bursting and it's nothing more. Advanced Linux users can modify the Grub boot menu, at its discretion, for example, choose which operating system is booted by default if there is no manual selection.

The Super Grub Disk is available in versions for CD-ROM, USB stick or floppy disk available - that is important for all bootable media. In the case of a bootable rescue CD-ROM is just around 3 MB big ISO file from Super Grub Disk. Super Grub Disk delivers a lot of options. With the "GNU / Linux" is a Linux boot loader repair, "Windows" a Windows boot loader does fit again. After selecting the option "GNU / Linux" or "Windows" followed by other options. One can, for example, an automatic repair of each boot loader to run or start one of the available operating systems. In addition, Super Grup Disk also help if a partition in the system no longer recognized. In short, a great all-round tool for boot problems and the simplest method of repair when something crashes.

I am providing an information to help to restore GRUB because of:
    • in dual-boot system where Windows was installed after Ubuntu
    • Windows problems that forced her to a reinstallation.
    • errors in GRUB
    • recovery techniques in Windows that give rise to "reset" the MBR.
    The following are the steps that can be useful for Restoring Grub :
    1. Launch a Live CD of Ubuntu 9.10 or higher. Once started, open a terminal and type the following command:
      sudo fdisk-l
      Take note of the partition on which Ubuntu is installed. Over the next steps will be taken as the installation partition/dev/sda1.
    2. Mount the partition on which the system resides. From the command line type:
      sudo mount / dev/sda1 / mnt
    3. Assemble the rest of the devices with the command:
      sudo mount - bind / dev / mnt / dev
      sudo mount - bind / proc / mnt / proc
      sudo mount - bind / sys / mnt / sys
    4. Do a chroot on your system. Type the command line:
      sudo chroot / mnt
      If Ubuntu is installed with a / boot partition separate (in this example, / dev/sda2), you must also install the command line by typing:
      mount / dev/sda2 / boot
    5. 2 to install Grub in the MBR, type the following command in Terminal:
      grub-install / dev / sda
      update-grub2
      If you receive errors, you can try with the command:
      grub-install - recheck / dev / sda
    6. Exit the chroot by pressing the Ctrl + D or by running the command:
      exit
    7. Remove all devices by typing:
      cd ~
      sudo umount / mnt / dev
      sudo umount / mnt / proc
      sudo umount / mnt / sys
      sudo umount / mnt /
    8. Restart your system and remove the Live CD.

It is often reported about it, that can also remove Windows file systems with a "Linux Live CD" or virus-Windows systems tried by a "Linux virus scanner" get fit again. That's right everything halfway. As long as it is NOT about the Windows file system NTSF. I would like to tell you that repairing a disk is always a tricky and delicate thing. It is better to first prepare for the big day, that is, a backup method to know. The procedure is then simple: in the menu is to back the partition selected and specified a location for the image file, which should logically be on a different partition to be backed up. Depending on the Linux of course have the write permissions are enabled for the target partition.