Thread: What is exFAT (FAT64) ?

What is exFAT (FAT64) ?

In seeking a solution to put my 750GB hard disk in RAID 3, I came across with exFAT. There where a lot of sites talking about exFAT under Windows XP while surfing on Google. Do anyone know about this? Can someone give me some brief information on the same?

Re: What is exFAT (FAT64) ?

Extended file allocation table (exFAT) is a new file system that is better adapted to the growing needs of mobile personal storage. The exFAT file system not only handles large files, such as those used for media storage, it enables seamless interoperability between desktop PCs and devices such as portable media devices so that files can easily be copied between desktop and device. In addition, exFAT can be adopted with minimal effort.

exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table, or FAT64) is a proprietary file system suited especially for flash drives, introduced by Microsoft for embedded devices in Windows Embedded CE 6.0 and in their desktop operating system, starting with Windows Vista Service Pack 1. exFAT can be used where the NTFS file system is not a feasible solution, due to data structure overhead. Users can add support for exFAT to Windows XP by installing a hotfix from Microsoft. Linux users can read exFAT using a free linux kernel patch.

exFAT (FAT64): Advantages

The exFAT system offers the following advantages:

- Enables the file system to handle growing capacities in media, increasing capacity to 32 GB and larger.
    - Handles more than 1000 files in a single directory.
    - Speeds up storage allocation processes.
    - Removes the previous file size limit of 4 GB.
    - Supports interoperability with future desktop OSs.
    - Provides an extensible format, including OEM-definable parameters to customize the file system for specific device characteristics.

really need help
    i have a WD 160gb external hard drive
    the problem is, it is not recognize n other pc (it says it need to reformat which i already did, in a windows 7 OS, it's file system is exfat)

what should i do?

everything is normal from the power, till the connection

Quote Originally Posted by lgbagabuyo View Post
    really need help
    i have a WD 160gb external hard drive
    the problem is, it is not recognize n other pc (it says it need to reformat which i already did, in a windows 7 OS, it's file system is exfat)

what should i do?

everything is normal from the power, till the connection
    I think that you can try to reformat the exfat WD 160gb external hard drive to NTFS file system. You can create a bootable partition by a software called G-parted that you can download by searching it on google. Your hard disk drive or USB flash drive can be subdivided into one or more partitions. GParted enables you to reorganize your disk partitions while preserving the contents of these partitions. More information on converting exFAT to NTFS can be found here - How to reformat exFAT to NTFS