Thread: Windows 7: Incorrect or missing program icons in start menu

Windows 7: Incorrect or missing program icons in start menu

For unidentified causes my start menu and task bar has ongoing showing the incorrect icons. For instance Office Outlook and quite a lot of other now has a general program icon, when a few additional program icons are mixed up like notepad has the VLC media player symbol, the symbol for a game has the Paint icon etc. I have no idea what has caused this. The odd thing is that in all programs the accurate icons are viewing but if I right click and insert them to the start menu or task bar they receive an erroneous icon. Attempted system restores but it does not work. If I generate a novel user account the accurate icons appear in that accounts start menu or task bar.

Re: Windows 7: Incorrect or missing program icons in start menu

I have inserted few folders to the start menu to sort it by application type and to keep it little. Now if you have shortcuts where no path to the equivalent .exe file is specified and shifting it to one more place the shortcut will lose its icon. You can circumvent this behavior: Reboot the Operating system earlier than moving any shortcuts. Later than a reboot you can shift the shortcuts with no losing their icons. This is extremely maddening.

Sending a shortcut, to desktop after that moving it to your preferred folder works immense to repair this. But occasionally the trouble is inferior. I have observed that on a few programs, for anything reason, later than they are setup, the .exe loses its icon. This has occurred to me for programs in both Program Files and Program Files. I have establish an answer but it needs a few knowledge of Resource hacking. You will require either ResHacker or Restorator. Run one of those programs and find the way to the .exe of the program that is lost its icon. Open up the icon resource and remove the program icon and save it someplace as an .ico. After that utilize the assign option and give the icon back to the .exe. Complex for a few but those who know how to resource hack will get this? It Worked for me. I setup both Adobe PS CS3 and CS5 and both misplaced their icons. This resolution fixed them both.

I have the similar trouble in windows 7 64 bit. I think I have established the trouble and a resolution. While program setups for all users and you after that shift the start menu folders, it moves the folders to your local user account start menu. If you shift the folders to the similar place for all users in its place of just you, you can after that, go into the shortcut and secure the icon and the icons will show up.