Thread: Install JAVA on Fedora Core

Install JAVA on Fedora Core

I have installed recently a Fedora Core 3 on new desktop machine and I want to install the Java after I finishing an updates. Can you guys tell me that where can I find out the proper package for Java to install it on my new Fedora Core machine. And it would be much better to have a proper steps to install it. Please help me guys!

Re: Install JAVA on Fedora Core

The standard installation of Fedora should install OpenJDK (based off of Sun Java). However if not, it can be installed using YUM:
    Code:
    [Mirandam @ charon ~] $ sudo yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin
    With OpenJDK installed, Java application and Web applets should work automatically. Unfortunately some applets may not run properly and the OpenJDK might have some limitations. Majority of user should find OpenJDK perfect for everyday use. If you require Sun (Oracle) Java or if OpenJDK does not work properly, you can download Sun (Oracle) Java and use it in Fedora.

Re: Install JAVA on Fedora Core

Under Java Platform, Standard Edition, Select: Download JRE (the JDK is for Java developers) On the next page, select Platform for "Linux" for 32-bit users, and "Linux x64" for 64-bit users. For Language select "Multi-language". So accept the license agreement, and hit "Continue". On the next page, select the option RPM:
    Code:
      Java SE Runtime Environment 6u22
     jre-6u22-linux-i586-rpm.bin (32-bit users)

jre-6u22-linux-x64-rpm.bin (64-bit users)
    To install:
    Code:
      [Mirandam @ charon Download] $ sudo sh jre-6u22-linux-i586-rpm.bin
     -OR-
     [Mirandam @ charon Download] $ sudo sh jre-6u22-linux-x64-rpm.bin
    When running the java command, Fedora will default to using OpenJDK. In order to use Sun Java, use the alternative command. To setup the Java runtime, perform the following (Applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit users):
    Code:
     [Mirandam @ charon Download] $ sudo / usr / sbin / alternatives - install / usr / bin / java java / usr / java / default / bin / java 20 000
    Setup the Mozilla / Firefox browser plugin.

For 32-bit users:
    Code:
     [Mirandam @ charon Download] $ sudo / usr / sbin / alternatives - install / usr / lib / mozilla / plugins / libjavaplugin.so \
     libjavaplugin.so / usr/java/default/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so 20 000
    For 64-bit users:
    Code:
      [Mirandam @ charon Download] $ sudo / usr / sbin / alternatives - install / usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so \
     libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 / usr/java/default/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 20 000
    You may need to restart Firefox to see the plugin take effect. If you wish to switch back to OpenJDK you can run the following commands one by one to switch between the OpenJDK and Sun Java:
    Code:
      [Mirandam @ charon ~] $ sudo / usr / sbin / alternatives - config java

[Mirandam @ charon ~] $ sudo / usr / sbin / alternatives - config libjavaplugin.so
     (Or for 64-bit)
     [Mirandam @ charon ~] $ sudo / usr / sbin / alternatives - config libjavaplugin.so.x86_64
    Issue SELinux - SELinux is preventing Currently the Java plugin from loading properly. To allow Firefox to load the plugin please run the following:
    Code:
     [Mirandam @ charon ~] $ sudo-t chcon execmem_exec_t / usr/lib/firefox-3.6/firefox (or for 64-bit) [mirandam @ charon ~] $ sudo-t chcon execmem_exec_t / usr/lib64/firefox-3.6 / firefox
    For more information see bug 628 031. To update: If you wish update the JRE package, simply download the newest rpm package and install it as above. You will need to reset alternative, as those settings should remain intact NOT.