Thread: Executing exe files in Ubuntu

Executing exe files in Ubuntu

I was having Microsoft windows XP antivirus installed on my Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop. Last night while browsing the internet, there was virus attack and due to this virus attack my operating system files got corrupted. So I formatted my system and installed Linux operating system thus Ubuntu operating system because Linux operating system is more secured against virus. I want to run executable file on my Ubuntu operating system but I am unaware of the steps to execute it and therefore I need a solution which will help me in executing exe file on Linux platform.

Re: Executing exe files in Ubuntu

EXE files are executable files. You can execute exe thus executable files on Linux operating system very easily. Below are the steps given to execute exe files on Linux operating system:
    1. You need to go to the WineHQ website and click on the download section.
    2. You need to click link which you want to download depending on which version of Linux you are running.
    3. After downloading you need to click on the installer file. If the installer .exe is not launching then you can lunch it from the terminal window.
    4. You need to open the terminal window and type “cd ~/Desktop” followed by “Wine fileinstall.exe” where file name will be replaced.
    5. You can run the .exe file by going to the applications/ Wine/ followed by the Programs menu in which you can click.
    6. You can also run the .exe file by typing “Wine filename.exe” in the terminal window where filename.exe is the name of application which you want to launch.

As Linux operating system operates on code and I as a new user which is using Linux operating system and I was unaware of the steps to execute exe file. Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution it was possible for me to execute exe file. I have executed exe file and I want to know if I can convert bin file to exe. If yes then provide me a solution which will help me in converting bin file to exe file.

You can convert bin file into exe file very easily by following the steps given below:
    You need to open the terminal window and navigate to the directory in which you stored the installation script.
    You will need to change the access permission of installation script by making use of chmod utility at the command line and pressing enter key.
    chmod +x theScript.bin
    If you receive warning after executing the previous step then you need to execute the command by logging into the system as administrator. You can type below given command in the administrator.
    sudo chmod +x theScript.bin
    Then you can use the below command to execute script
    ./theScript.bin
    After typing the above command the installation script will be converted into exe file.