Thread: Mid 2010 Mac Pros

Mid 2010 Mac Pros

The Mac Pros out some month before boot into the 64 bit kernel by default. Any suggestion how long it will be previous to NAV is updated to work properly that is auto defend and auto scan below the 64 bit kernel? I just got one that is the standard OS X 10.6.4 and not the server. That information is both in the documentation which arrived with the machine and on Appleā€™s website and additional Mac troubleshooting sites.

Re: Mid 2010 Mac Pros

I will check Apple's site, I in progress to perform this previously but got interrupted just therefore I have something official to pass along. Sorry to query this, but it was information to me. I cannot actually comment on future release tactics, but unnecessary to say this is relevant. By the way, one way to verify this state is by clicking the "More Info" button in "About this Mac", and after that click on the top level "Software" item. If it is worked in 64 bit kernel, the 64 bit Kernel and Extensions item must say yes.

To set to boot into 64 bit form by default, the below command should work:
    Code:
    Sudo nvram boot-args="arch=x86_64"
    To boot into 32 bit form the below should work:
    Code:
    Sudo nvram boot-args="arch=i386"
    Sudo nvram -d boot-args
    The below file should be update:
    /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/com.apple.Boot.plist
    I as well am truly keen to know while Norton Internet Security will work accurate on a Macbook Pro running OSX with a 64 bit kernel. I am as well intrigued to know what the crash is of running the present version with a 64 bit kernel further than autoprotect not functioning, that is: is there any system instability, performance or additional such unenthusiastic impact?

All I can say is that in a week of running in 64 bit form, I have had no troubles. No collapses no instability, just some widgets, favorite panes and applications which had to be updated from PowerPC versions. For the majority part, they ran anyhow, below Rosetta, but updating them let them get advantage of the speed enhance from my old Quicksilver machine.

Are you running the native Norton Internet Security for Mac product? With a 32 bit kernel, I would agree, the product appears to work very well with insignificant system or performance overhead or degradation. I would assuming that the most recent product I am currently running has universal binaries and thus no require for Rosetta. Using a 64 bit kernel however is a dissimilar stuff; Norton Internet Security directs me that certain features don't work. I am hoping that a novel future release will permit full compatibility with a 64 bit Mac OS X kernel to permit all features to work another time. In the interim I am wondering if there are any known troubles which may not be right away obvious to an end user, or if anybody has recognized any performance or additional troubles which are not so far documented. I expect that this all makes sense.