Thread: Making permission for normal user in Linux

Making permission for normal user in Linux

I have recently started with Linux Though it is great operating system. I am able to do following things when I am at root directory viz. moving of directories, Dial out, compilation, etc. Every time I have to move into root directory to perform above mentioned things. I want to permit normal user to perform such things. Is it really possible? If you know any commands to do the same please let me know as soon as possible.

Re: Making permission for normal user in Linux

Well looking at your situation there is very simple way to allow the user to do above mentioned things. User should add itself into the etc/sudoers file where he can get sudo rights. ‘wheel’ named group is already exists in many Linux systems. You should try the following command. $ usermod -aG wheel yourUserName. In above command you have to write your name instead of yourUserName. You username will be transferred in to /etc/sudoers file. If you are already having the ‘wheel’ group simply add your username in to it or you can manually edit the file. I wish above mentioned solution will work for you.

Thanks for the above mention reply. I am using Debain and I already know about the sudo. I want to make my user to run cmake', 'make' , Changing the name of the directories or the moving the directories in to the other directory without using the sudo command. Is there any other way to set the permission to the user? I hope you will provide me another solution on the same isse. Thanking you again for replying.

Linux allows you three types of access for the files Viz. Read, Write,Execute. Each and every file belongs to specific user or group of user. Three types of permissions are available in the Linux. They are User permissions, Group permissions and Other Permissions. Well above mentioned information will provide you brief idea about the accessing the files and giving rights to the user. Thanking you for the reading the details

Well if you want to change the permission or ownership of any file you may use the following code. Chown –R user:group /home/user Chown command changes the ownership of specified user. To set the permission for specified file you can use the following command. Chmod –R 755 /home/user. You can also set r, w, x access on the above mention code. If you want to more restrictive you can use 744. It provides only ready only access to the user, user group or other. I will be really happy if the above mention commands help you to fix your problem.