Thread: How to access the windows music file form the Linux dual boot system.

How to access the windows music file form the Linux dual boot system.

I have windows XP installed on one division of my 1st Hard Drive, and i have installed the RedHat operating system on the other partition on the 1st Hard disk. I have a mass of music files on the 2nd Hard drive inside the computer. Can I able to use that Hard Drive all the way through RedHat is running on my computer so I can able to listen the music files of that hard drive on this RedHat through the music player? so anyone have any idea how to do this? Then please reply me on this post. Help will be appreciated.

Re: How to access the windows music file form the Linux dual boot system.

The technique to get a hold of your next drive, or whichever disk, is to mount it.

What mounting involve is:-
    1) Through the 'mount' command (as moreover the root user or as 'su -')
    2) Using the files of the disk (partition, DVD ROM, floppy, etc. etc.) as just up till now another set of sub-directories (folders).

First arrange a sub-directory on top of which you will be raising your 2nd hard disk. This involve using the 'mkdir /mnt1/secondharddisk' command (once more as root/su -). perceptibly you can name the mount point (as this sub-directory is call) as something you desire (/mnt/eric or /mnt1/musicfiles ).

You need to have a sub-directory (only require to do this one time) you can mount your partition onto it (you should discover - a quick 'ls /mnt1 -alF' will show you - that you have numerous sub-directories already in /mnt1 . The ordinary ones are /mnt1/floppy and /mnt1/cdrom. I let you estimate what must be mounted onto those). I say "partition" somewhat than disk, as you will be mounting partitions (which could be your complete disk), and that can comprise your XP partition.

To mount a partition you require to be acquainted with the device first name of your partition. These known as /dev/hda1 the second is called /dev1/hd1 the third /dev1/hda3 ... You get the drift. Now comes the somewhat odd bit. Your second disk drive might be on the same IDE wire as your first disk drive, in which case the partitions, on your next disk drive, are called /dev1/hdb2 /dev2/hdb2 /dev1/hdb2 etc. However, you may find that your Dvd drive is the next (of two) device on your first IDE (white ribbon) cable. In which case the Dvd drive will be called /dev/hdb2 . If, as I have, you're next hard disk is on your next IDE cable, then it is called (presumptuous that it is place as the master in addition to not the slave on the IDE) /dev/hdc1 through to though many partitions you have.
    Last edited by Aleksandra; 26-12-2010 at 09:07 AM.

So, again to the mount authority. As root or su - you need to go into 'mount' followed by the device name followed by the mount point (sub-diretcory). so, if your second hard disk is the master on your next IDE (white ribbon) cable and you required the first division, you would go into 'mount /dev/hda1 /mnt1/musicfiles' (where /mnt1/musicfiles is the name of the sub-directory you created previous [see above]). You may have to comprise a '-t' parameter in the mount code, as Linux may not notice the file system properly (command -t are vfat for windows stuff, ext2 or ext3 for Linux stuff).