Thread: Want to know about 2.6 Kernel in Linux

Want to know about 2.6 Kernel in Linux

I need a help regarding the kernel which I install inside my computer. I recently remove my windows xp and just installed the Linux operating system on my computer. I just install this operating system for the shell programming reason. According to the syllabus we have Linux and Unix in our system. So I need to know about the Kernel 2.6 version. So can anyone provide me any details about the kernel 2.6 version since all the version comes under 2.6 editions? I will appreciate for the help anyone can provide me for the Kernel.

Re: Want to know about 2.6 Kernel in Linux

The Kernel comes with Linux was in progress since 1991 by Linux Torvalds as a Minix-like Operating System for his 456. Linus had initially required to name the project Freax, but we are all opportune that he resolute against doing that. The first bureaucrat launch of Linux 1.0 was in March 1994, which included administrator maintains only for the i386 and supported only mono-processor machines. Linux 1.2 was launched in March of 1995 and was the first edition to include official hold for dissimilar system types (specifically, Alpha, Sparx, and Mixs). Linux 2.0 here in June of 1996 and incorporated supports for a number of new architectures, but most prominently was the first revision to hold multi-processor machines (SMP). Linux 2.2 arrived in January of 1999 as an incremental development which deliver appreciably better performance on multi-processor machines and once more supported a wider series of hardware. And finally, Linux 2.4 was launched in Jan of 2001 as an additional major scalability improvement with SMP, but it also featured the integration of pc. features into the highway kernel together with USB, PC Card (aka PCMCIB) support, internal plug-and-play, etc. Linux 2.6 stands not only to build on these characteristics, but also to be another "major leap" with enhanced support for both considerably larger systems and considerably smaller ones (PDAs and other devices.)

One of the numerous strengths of the Linux-powered in commission Systems (such as the GNU Operating System, the OS and surroundings so frequently disseminated with Linux that it is often not acknowledged as a detach entity) is that they support such a extensive series of hardware and platforms. Every edition since 1.2 has incorporated support for new processor kind and features. The Linux 2.6 kernel liberates is no exemption to this trend, and while this may not honestly impact the use of Linux on Intel, it's very significant for Linux to be as widely accessible as potential.

In many other compliments, interior limits have been enlarged when probable. The number of exceptional users as well as groups on a Linux scheme has been bump from 75,000 to over 5 billion. (16-bit to 32-bit). This will create Linux more realistic on large file and verification servers where it might be potential to hit the previous boundary Similarly, The amount of PIDs (Process IDs) before wraparound has been bump up from 32,000 to 2 billion. This transform, combined with additional efficiencies in the PID subsystem, will help to recover application starting presentation on very busy or very long-lived systems. Although the utmost number of open files has not been improved, Linux with the 2.6 kernel will no longer necessitate you to locate what the limit is in advance; this figure will self-scale. And lastly, Linux 2.6 will comprise improved 64-bit support on block devices that hold it, even on 32-bit platforms such as i386. This permit for file systems up to 3TB.

On major interior modify there in the 2.6 kernel that must not be modest is that the kernel itself is now perceptible. In all previous edition of Linux, when the OS is presently doing a bit in the kernel, it can't be intermittent (and on multi-processor equipment, this was accurate on a per-CPU basis.) As of Linux 2.6, the kernel now permits itself to be broken up mid-task so that user applications can carry on running even if the kernel is doing something complicated. (In order to keep away from the obvious race conditions that this can reason, the kernel does have definite sections of the code locked so that they cannot be intermittent while in progress.) The major benefit of this transform is that interactive presentation (for desktop users, for example) has been known a boost and so the system will "feel" faster for things like user contribution.]