Thread: What should I install 32-bit or 64-bit Linux

What should I install 32-bit or 64-bit Linux

As most of you can make out, I went forward as well as I installed Ubuntu 10.0 on my current AMD dual core machine. Now the question take place: should I install the 64 bit edition or the 32 bit version because I have installed 32 bit linux on my current machine I question because I want to take the advantage of all 4 GB of RAM on my machine, or should I just remain with the 32 bit edition for a while? So any know what should I do then please reply me on this post as soon as possible. Help will be appreciated.

Re: What should I install 32-bit or 64-bit Linux

With no a scientific set of target this one is really hard to make out which one is better. Most of us think one allocation "feels" quicker than another though others oppose. I will be sufficient to say that no one has up till now establish systematically that the 64-bit version of Linux obtainable today are considerably faster in performance than their 32-bit counterparts. the majority "64-bit" edition of the application are really just recompiled edition of the 32-bit code, with no optimization that would take benefit of the new characteristics these chips suggest and perhaps increase performance. If you're looking to use 64-bit since you think it will be a most important improvement in speed. So you will need to reconsider it again.

As the compatibility concern not all application which is running on 32 bit may runs on 64-bit Linux because of the compatibility issue. Though there have been 64-bit inhabitant Linux distributions for numerous times the software group has however needs to fully squeeze the technology. As of the occasion this post was written, there is no 64-bit edition of the Macromedia blaze Plug-in for your web browser, for occasion. WINE as well as the Java VM has been recognized to origin problems on some 64-bit installations also. Not all hardware has 64-bit drivers up till now the two mainly important display card makers (ATI and Nvidia) do have X86_64 edition of their drivers, but they are unhappily the exemption rather than the standard.

If you planning to install in a machine that has more than 4GB of RAM, you'll require to use the 64-bit edition of your allocation because 32-bit operating systems are only capable to hold up to 4GB, maximum. There's just not sufficient memory addresses for extra. This is normally not a trouble for desktop users, but it might be a worry for servers or high-end workstations. So if you are to run it on your home pc then I don’t find any difficulty to run it.

As many computer Companies has proven in current years, there's an unpleasant most of people will do just since they assume that 64 bit system have a nice look and feel. So they feel “cool” about this version. This is possibly the one reason why most of people select to use 64-bit Linux: it's a neat idea? So depends on the people we can give just advice whether to use or not. To some people the thought of using a 64-bit local operating system on their 64-bit CPU is just as well cool to go. These people recognize the drawbacks to using a bleeding-edge system as well as accept the additional work concerned.