Thread: Install NVIDIA drivers on Mandrake 10.1

Install NVIDIA drivers on Mandrake 10.1

I am about to install the Linux operating system on my desktop machine which is currently running a Windows XP operating system. I am using the Nvidia graphic card on this machine and have installed the drivers for the same on windows system. But now I am gonna install the Linux soon, I would like to make it sure that how can I install the Nvidia drivers on Mandrake 10.1 so that I don't get stuck in between after installing the new operating system.

Re: Install NVIDIA drivers on Mandrake 10.1

The graphics server X. Org (XFree86 and its predecessor) has its own driver from nVidia. This driver is installed by default in Mandriva (since MandrakeLinux 7.2) if the system detects an nVidia card. It was more stable on some systems, but does not offer all the functionality of the proprietary driver, including improved 3D performance. From version nvidia-8756-1plf, the nVidia GeForce 6100 & 6150 (on Nforce motherboards) are automatically recognized and configured with XFdrake / drakconf. The graphics driver provided by nVidia consists of several parts:
    • A module for the core operating system consists of two parts: an interface that must be compiled and the binary driver for kernel
    • The binary driver for XFree or Xorg
    • A set of libraries to support the OpenGL extension "GLX"

The last two parts are often grouped together.

1) Download the required drivers on the Nvidia website
    2) Backup the packtage download in a directory.
    Example: / home/lugifab/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run
    3) Verify that the kernel sources are installed.
    4) Restart in failsafe mode (or something like that).
    5) When you arrive in the console, something like this appears:
    Code:
    INIT request to move into single user mode 
    INIT: Going single user 
    sh-3.00 #
    To start in console mode without the X server, steps:
    Code:
    init 2
    Screen change to make room for:
    Code:
    Mandriva Linux release 2006.0 (Official) for i586 
    Kernel 2.6.12-12mdk one year i586/tty1 
    localhost login:
    Opens a root session to switch to root and if there NEED FOR A password, you put it. Then you between the address of the file that you download run (example: / home/lugifab/Desktop/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run).
    6) After installation, the installer will offer you to update your X configuration file, you agree to complete the driver installation.
    7) Then start X with:
    Code:
    init 5
    If all goes well, you should quickly see the nvidia logo and you can start a meeting. Do not restart your PC starts maintenand a root session. Opens the configuration file of X (/ etc/X11/xorg.conf). Check in the Device section the following line:
    Code:
    Driver "nvidia"
    And in the Module section:
    Code:
    Load "glx"
    9) Save the file and restart. Normally it is complete and everything works now. In case of problems, for example, if X will not boot Opens a root session and uses this to restore the original configuration file:
    Code:
    mv / etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup / etc/X11/xorg.conf

The easiest way is to use XFdrake to configure your screen and specify to use the proprietary driver. It thus directly retrieve the packages containing the nvidia driver for the version of your graphics card. For a list of packages containing the nvidia drivers (in case you would install the packages yourself) you must either use it or else rpmdrake command line urpmi. (A urpmf nvidia giving you the list of packages containing the nvidia drivers for example). Finally if you want to directly install the binary nvidia then you must install at least kernel-devel package corresponding to your kernel see the kernel-source.

On my Mandrake 8.1 was installed XFree 4.1.0. This should be possibly taken into account. Now be first unpacked the tarball:
    • tar zxvf NVIDIA_kernel 1.0 1251.tar.gz
    • tar zxvf NVIDIA_GLX 1.0 1251.tar.gz

It will be automatically created two sub-directories. So you need have no fear that something is accidentally overwritten. First changes to the directory with the contents of a zip "kernel" tarballs. If one is then in NVIDIA_KERNEL-1.0-1251 make is first called. One has to have root privileges of course, that's clear. Modules are automatically installed NVdriver. Should this lead to error messages may be no compiler is installed. This subsequently install and then run make again. Make the call SYSINCLUDE = / usr / src / linux / include which is given by. On my Mandrake 8.1 has make a simple evasion cannot be confused. Now for the GLX. Back into the directory with the unpacked sources go first and then make calls. Now the NVIDIA OpenGL libraries installed, and then replace the software drivers for the OpenGL libraries (Mesa OpenGL) with those same NVIDIA OpenGL libraries that appeal to the hardware acceleration of the nVidia chips.