Thread: Why Linux Mint 9 Hangs on my Laptop

Why Linux Mint 9 Hangs on my Laptop

I am trying to remove Ubuntu and on that upgrading my laptop to Linux Mint. I had not done this before. My laptop actually came with Windows 7. I want to dual boot my system and install Linux as secondary software. But things are not working well. For Ubuntu all worked well. I had not yet removed Ubuntu completely. Rather than that I had just booted my system from Live Disc. But it freezes on the desktop. I am not able to figure out the issue behind the this. As for Ubuntu 10.04 on which it is based, Linux Mint 9 take some welcome improvements such as faster startup. But on the same I do found any better improvements. What amount of application does new operating system supports/

Re: Why Linux Mint 9 Hangs on my Laptop

It is right that Linux Mint 9 Isadora has many improvements and the latest advances in the world of open source in software. It is possible that the cd which you are using is not proper, because of which is freezing on the desktop. I found that there are around 30,000 applications listed to work on this new system in the new software manager. Other than this you get a new tool for data backup and software installed with a capacity of discount items saved. The menu transparency and the ability to edit launchers, tools for creating and USB installation on Windows, 3 years of support and ergonomic improvements.

You can try the Windows Installer version for that. It is called as Mint4Win and it is available and fully functional. The RC version does not provide support for languages and is available in English. But there is no java support provided in this version. This allows to retain large applications like Gimp and Pidgin on the CD. Java took 122MB of space data in comparison to 48MB of Gimp, Pidgin to 28MB, and 31MB for Mono / Giver / Moonlight / Tomboy. So for that it was excluded. The same was then used by the management tool OpenOffice Database and the applet plugin. The decision was taken based on the fact that few people really need the management tool Database and today, most online gambling sites use Flash anyway. So try out this version on your system.

Yes it can be the problem of your cd/dvd drive which is not working properly. Try to install Mint first and then check back. If it is still freezing then you can go for a new version. That means download another version, your cd might have some missing files. There is no heavy hardware required to run this operating system. Linux Mint is mostly distributed as a LiveCD that can then install, as well as via a LiveCD that includes more elements, such as Sun Java 6, VLC, OpenOffice.org Base, F-Spot, and Samba other content such as wallpapers. What I liked in this operating system is the software manager which is much better in comparison to the older version. This time there are more new applications are provided for support.

Do one thing, download a fresh copy of Linux Mint and then burn that on a cd by using Nero. Use the minimum write speed to burn the software. Then boot in with the disc and check back. It will work. If still there is issue then you can use the same to boot with a usb drive. It is possible that your DVD drive is not functioning well. The best thing about Mint is that it has a new new software manager. Gnome App Install Ubuntu and unite a new software center. Also, the tool for configuring the desktop settings has been made again so you get a revised start menu. A new backup tool to back up data and a portion of the installed applications so that they can be, even after installing a new version of Linux Mint back playing again. Linux Mint 9 contains again the Wubi-based Windows Installer, which allows to set up the distribution under Windows. Using the USB-Creator, it is now possible for Linux Mint on a bootable USB stick pack.

For that do one thing. Try to boot in recover mode first. Then you can use xfix. If that does not help out then it can be due to hardware. There is not really a big issue in the operating system. Mint is widely used and it is a stable software. It can be due to some hardware in your system which is not properly configured and causing the problem. Like synaptic. Normally all things are configured automatically or else you get an option to install it also. But sometime due to some older hardware this issue is cause. Check for the same and see whether everything is working fine in your system or not. You might need to re-install things back again. Check your hard drive also for badsectors.