Thread: I want to create a Custom Boot Disk

I want to create a Custom Boot Disk

I need some help to deal with creating custom boot disk. I want to create a bootable disc inorder to troubleshoot my system booting. I had some systems based both on Linux and Windows. But major issue is with Linux. I tried a lot trick on windows and that worked well. But there is some issue on Linux where I want to add up my own tools on the bootable disc, no matter what the size can be. I tried some automated program but when I add software they do not work at all. In that case Windows Live CD is better to use, but it does ont supports all, if I want to work on the root level of the system.

Re: I want to create a Custom Boot Disk

In my case I am trying to create a boot disk for troubleshooting which will load enough linux so that I can fix the issues on my system. By creating a custom boot disk you will be able to do file manipulation, mount and dismount, and other tasks. This is however not a limitation. The minimum disk is described here, and you can add anything that will fit inside the disk. For that the setup is as follow Startup Disk / Disk Troubleshooting. At first you will need to create a loopback file to construct an image of the rescue disk. Then later on you steps will be to create a filesystem on the image file, then we will use to mount the file as a standard disk, allowing to read and write files on the loopback file. Later on you will need to set up the device files. For that you can use devfs on the system. If you used MAKEDEV to create device files, you need to clean up the / mnt/loop1/dev inodes to recover lost all devices in the dev directory that you do not.

You can create a custom boot floppy for Red Hat Linux. The process is much more effective and simple here. I want to highlight some advantages of creating a boot disk. First it can be used to replace LILO. It is possble to use boot disk instead of LILO. This can be useful if you use Linux for the first time and you feel reassured by using a startup process that does not alter that of any other operating system. To boot directly into your other operating system, remove your Linux boot disk and restart the computer. You can also use this boo disk in case of system crash. This simply act as a rescue disk. The boot disk can also be used to complement the rescue disk, which offers all the tools needed to restore a damaged system 6.1.

With the help of boot disk it also possible to overwrites LILO. Other operating systems are not as flexible as Red Hat Linux on the boot method used. Updating or installing another operating system rewrites the boot block (MBR), which contains LILO, thus making it impossible to boot Red Hat Linux. The boot disk can then be used to restart Red Hat Linux and reinstall LILO. Boot from Red Hat linux disk and choose OK then press the space bar to create the boot disk. You can then see a dialog box asking you to insert a blank floppy in the floppy drive of your machine. Select OK and press the space bar once the floppy disk. After a few moments, your boot disk is ready. Here there is no manual configuration is needed.

For computers that do not have PXE compliant, it is possible to create a boot disk for emulating a card and so enable PXE boot on the network boot . To create this diskette, type the following command in the Run menu and click ok \ \ servername \ reminst \ admin \ i386 \ Rbfg.exe. Start the client computer and boot from the network. When the next window appears, press F12 (Press F12 for network service boot). On the home page "Client Installation Wizard" on blue press enter and then you log in on the RIS server. Continue to choose an installation mode. Choose the image here and hit enter.

I found some sites which directly offers to download bootable disc. That means you just need to download those file and run the setup. And it automatically creates a bootable disk. I am not sure about custom boot disk, but this are very grateful to fix Windows. Even you can get direct installation support for multiboot disk. And if you are on Linux then this task is greatly facilitated by the package boot-floppies for Debian, you normally find in the admin section of the Debian FTP archive. Shell scripts in this package produce boot floppies in the SYSLINUX format. Floppies are formatted with MSDOS whose mbr and modified so that they can boot Linux directly or even other operating systems.