Thread: I am trying to run linux from a pen drive

I am trying to run linux from a pen drive

I installed ubuntu on my hard drive. I have a dual boot system. The other operating system which I had is Windows Vista. Sometimes it starts sometimes not. Now I have a 16GB usb stick. I would like to install a Linux distribution that is suitable for desktop and server programming and also important point, it must be stable. I need your help for choice. I tried some basic steps by my system do not found the usb on the Linux mode. The same works well on Vista. It is better if I can carry my operating system on my pen drive and boot from the same to gain access to my system.

Re: I am trying to run linux from a pen drive

It is correct that who has ever tried to install Linux things has gone against him. Now there are option where you need no CD to install the same. With a key of 1Gb can put all the installation of a Linux distribution with the utility UNetbootin. This little app that runs under Windows and Linux is a gem to make a bootable key with a full installation of Linux on it. You select your distribution of choice and this tool puts all the files of the operating system on the usb drive. It will grab the ISO selected directly from an FTP, uncompressed and creates a properl bootable usb drive. Now this one is the most easiest way to fix the same out. The software is widely available and you can use it with ease. You need a Windows based system to run the tool and create a bootable pen drive.

Today there are several options that you can try to create a bootable Linux Disc or Drive. For that you can use a Live CD to run Ubuntu Linux on your computer without touching the existing partitions that can contain Windows or any other operating system. Sometimes you take your Live CD with you to have your workspace and use it regardless of the computer you have. This is the best way to try Linux. It is better to install linux on a usb is that it takes less space. USB flash drives are more resistant than CDs that can be easily scratched and become unusable. There are free software's like uSbuntu Creator. This tool allow you to install a CD image of Ubuntu on the usb and make it bootable.

It is possible to run and install Linux from a bootable usb. Like a Live CD , the mobile office can start a complete operating system with many programs on most PCs like Word processing, Internet, chat, emails, etc. There are other distros that you can get in full version and offers better feature. By this it is possible to move and backup your systems file before cleaning out everything. You can just run the executable, then select your USB key distribution and finally start the process. There are numerous software that can do this on some clicks. Like the Fedora Live USB Creator or uSbuntu Live Creator. Unetbootin offers the possibility to download and install easily grinds 36 Linux.

These distributions are characterized by their ease of use and pleasure, with many hardware and software driver. It is really pretty difficult always to get an access to the bootloader. The bootloader is a menu that allows you to choose which operating system to boot your computer. It is a automated process which installs the same on the harddisk in the first sector addressable when you installed Linux. It is quite possible to install Linux via a USB key. This means that you will make your USB key installation CD for Linux, basically. To this end he will be using software that will make your usb bootable. This is much more recommended f it is to be used just on your pc, for normal installation and grub setup.

Linux Mint based on Ubuntu. The goal of the makers of Linux Mint is out of the box a more comprehensive multimedia support to offer, as Ubuntu does. By default, the Gnome desktop is used. It is the "Main Edition". Linux Mint is published as a live CD. Like almost all Linux distributions, you can download Ubuntu also from the official website. My USB memory stick Pen Drive 1GB was the Linux 2.4.27 kernel immediately recognized as USB DISK Pro and / dev/sda1. I loaded the latest version of feather-0.7.3.1-USB.ZIP into a folder and went down to the USB stick installation process. First, I partitioned the drive with cfdisk, then the DOS-compatible file system generates a vfat. Later on I used grub to run the operating system.