Thread: Need help to add my photos on Gnome Screensaver

Need help to add my photos on Gnome Screensaver

I want some steps to add my own photos on the Gnome Screensaver. I tried to find out some tools for that but could not get the same which actually works to the point. What I found that screen saver and power management in Linux play hand in hand. While the screen saver is activated after a shorter time and then the power power management do not function so properly. This takes over the command and then switch off screens, specifically in order to save energy in notebooks and thus to increase the battery life. What are the other more things I can try out on my system.

Re: Need help to add my photos on Gnome Screensaver

It is right to say that Gnome has a screen saver built into the system: Gnome-Screensaver. The advantage over Xscreensaver is not to require a new daemon and work together with gnome-power-manager , which is handy on a laptop. Another strong point of Gnome Screensaver to be compatible with saving Xscreensaver. Just download the new screensavers and pass on the command - yum install xscreensaver-extras xscreensaver-gl-extras. In the latest versions of gnome-screensaver is not possible to change in the interface the default images that parade with the screen saver slide show. But that does not means that you cannot change it all but there is a method to change that, everything will be done in a terminal as root.

Gnome can sometimes be quite annoying. In contrast to the KDE philosophy (the users themselves as much as possible to leave options) restricted Gnome so many settings. Annoying as the Gnome screen saver images folder: This will normally be automatically displayed photos from the Pictures folder. Only stupid if you do not use the default folder in your home directory, but another. I have my photos on a separate partition to be. In KDE you can easily just add this in the settings for screen saver or remove individual files.

It is right that in the Gnome-screensaver it is really ont easy to change the default folder of images. But there is a solution for this. In this it is possible to edit a file. The files is called as personal-slideshow.desktop which is is located in the / usr / share / applications / screensavers /. This the location of the file situated on your directory. Here it is also possible to open the same. You can open it in root mode with a text editor like gedit. You will need to download that and run it. Then pass the command - $ sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/screensavers/personal-slideshow.desktop. Look for the line Exec = slideshow. Save and close. Done. The default image file is replaced by the folder.

There is one more way that you can try out. If you want to put your picture then simply, try out this another solution. For this you have to use the folder called as Pictures for gnome-screensaver. Remember that this folder will only contain the selected photos which you want to see on the screensaver. Then create a second folder of images that will be named for example folder2. This folder will be used to store all the photos on one place. After that you have to use Nautilus. Click and then hold the folder folder2 and take it to the sidebar which is on the left, leave the click on Pictures. Done and then check back again. In this way you can configure your photos to the Gnome Screensaver.

There are other two methods that you ca try out for Gnome screensaver. Fortunately, the screen saver can be relatively painless for the Gnome XScreensaver replace the classic. The command for that is yum remove 'gnome-screensaver * and yum install xscreensaver. Then you have to log off one of Gnome to stop the Gnome Screen Saver and launch the xscreensaver. Then one finds the usual place a comfortable configuration tool that would leave little to be desired. And with GLSlideshow there is a slideshow screen saver that effect, the more interesting photos in Zoom scene is due. Normally, the gnome-screensaver xscreensaver embed these, containing only the configuration dialog, not that you can not explicitly call it with xscreensaver-command-prefs. If the gnome-screensaver no extra list the screen saver from the xscreensaver, I would just wait for stable release's where the work intended.