Thread: How can I remove the font TNR from Windows 7?

How can I remove the font TNR from Windows 7?

How can I remove the font Times New Roman from Windows 7? If I try to do it, a message appears saying that it is a system font and cannot be removed.

(I could do this without problems in Windows XP in order to install afterwards a slightly modified version of the TNR font for my own use.)

If I install a new version, it seems that it replaces the old version but it is not so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: How can I remove the font TNR from Windows 7?

What step you are taking to delete the font from the Windows 7. If you are unable to delete the font then you might have not logged in as Administrator and that is why you are getting error. Just login as Administrator and follow the below given step for removal of Font.

• Click on Start
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Appearance and Personalization
    • Click on Fonts
    • Select Times New Roman font
    • Go to File Menu
    • Select Delete

Thats it!!!!!!

Thank you for your help.

After selecting Delete, a window appears with the following message (I am translating from Catalan):

"Times New Roman normal (or: italics...) cannot be deleted because it is a system protected font."

This does not happen with all the fonts, but only with some fonts.

If you are getting the message then it might be possible that you are not logged in as administrator. You need to login as administrator to remove the font. Also follow the below given instruction for removal of the font.
    • Double Click on My Computer Icon on Desktop
    • Open the C: Drive
    • Go to Windows Folder
    • Now jump to Fonts Folder
    • Right-click the "Times New Roman"
    • Select Delete from Context menu
    • Click on Confirm if prompted

Before deleting the font make sure that you will need this in future as the application supporting this font will not function properly. So it is better to move this font to any other folder for future use.

Are you sure it is possible to delete the font Times New Roman in Windows 7 (I had no problem in Windows XP) when logging as administrator? If it is so, maybe I do not know exactly what is the meaning of "logging as adminstrator".

I only have one account, and this is an administrator account (without any password, since the computer is used only by myself). The name of the account is:
    Pere
    Administrator

Since I could not delete the font using my administrator account, I have also tried (several times) to right click on the link to Windows Explorer and select "Run as administrator". Then I have tried to delete the Times New Roman font, but also without success (I received the same message).

Am I logging rightly as administator?

Are you sure that you are following the right step to delete the font. Just go with the below given instruction to delete the font from Windows 7.
    • Open Fonts by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Fonts.
    • Click the font you want to delete. To select more than one font at a time, press and hold down the Ctrl key while you click each font.
    • On the toolbar, click Delete.

If nothing is working then it is better to ask same to the Microsoft. They might help you properly.

Source: Microsoft

Certainly I have followed several times the right instructions you have indicated. I am not a computer programmer, but I am not a novice in computing.

I do not have free support from Microsoft because I received the operatinig system with my laptop computer (support provided by HP, the manufacturer of the computer; and better not to ask HP Spain about this). For this reason I have asked the FontAgent support techicians, who of course know a lot about installing and uninstalling fonts in Windows 7. They have answered that it is not possible to delete de font TNR: "Also, you are not able to delete Times New Roman from Windows 7 because it's an essential system font. Without it, Windows 7 will become unstable or even unusable. You might be able to import and use your modified version of Times as long as it doesn't conflict with the Windows version. Simply import your copy of times into a library in FontAgent Pro and try to active it."

If anybody was able to delete the font Times New Roman from Windows 7, let me know, please. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere C. View Post
    If anybody was able to delete the font Times New Roman from Windows 7, let me know, please. Thanks in advance.
    Fortunately, i did it successfully. Actually what you need to do is simply go to My Computer, enter C Drive, than click on Windows Folder, than Fonts folder. Here search for an item named as "Times New Roman", delete it by right clicking or so, and you are done.