Thread: RemoteApp in Hyper-V

RemoteApp in Hyper-V

Hi experts, I have a question for Host Remote Desktop virtualization Windows 2008 R2 and the role of "RemoteApp" and we have a W2k8_Enterprise in use, the virtualized 12 servers. It runs like clockwork, so far everything is working properly! Now I wanted to install a test server with the OS W2k8R2 that will run the new role with TS RemoteApp. As I said, this will be only a test system. For the installation of "Host for Remote Desktop virtualization" is the role of Hyper-V necessary unfortunately tells me the server if I want to add the role that the CPU can not and the role is not installed. So I can not install the role of "Host for Remote Desktop Virtualization". My question now is whether there is any way possible on a virtualized server running Hyper-V, the "Host for Remote Desktop to install the part? I have tried to describe my problem in details, and I hope that its understandable.?! Does anyone have any advice, I unfortunately not found anything after searching on Internet.

Re: RemoteApp in Hyper-V

Hi Pakhi, I think that you have selected the wrong role service. Selected is Desktop Infrastructure (aka VDI) - that is virtual (Windows XP/VISTA/7) clients. The first decision to install the Remote Desktop Services which components you will have to install. Remote Desktop session host?? This is the actual remote desktop services component host Remote Desktop Virtualization. This role service supported supported the use of Personal virtual desktops based on Hyper-V Remote Desktop Licensing. The license service is required to the existing Remote Desktop Services Client Licenses (RD-CAL) to manage and to be monitored, this service must exist in an environment once its Remote Desktop Connection Broker. This component, known as Session Directory is a farm with load balancing used to ensure that a client is connected to an existing session if one exists.

I have RemoteApp on a Terminal Server 2008 in action. As far as work surface very well. A client software is started and running on the PC behaves as locally. If, however, would pass the RemoteApp program data into a Word document (which happens automatically), this is not possible because the terminal server no Office applications installed. Similarly, the function to write an email from the RemoteApp does not work, because there is no Outlook installed and it is not sent to Exchange continue. The RemoteApp application is an ERP software from another manufacturer. Actually, I should just recognize the RemoteApp pays more to the local environment and a locally installed Office. Have I thought too far and too much expected? Do we now for the RemoteApp users already buy Office licenses even though everyone has already (locally)? Or is there some switch that I have not seen yet?

RemoteApp programs are programs remotely via Terminal Services is accessed and which execute as if they were running on the local computer of the user. The RemoteApp program is not exhibited to the user in the context of the desktop of the remote terminal server, but it is incorporated into the client's desktop, where it is executed in a separate window with variable size and with its individual entry on the taskbar. Users can run RemoteApp programs in analogous to the local programs. When users run more than one RemoteApp program on the identical terminal server, the RemoteApp programs have the same Terminal Services session is used. In Windows Server 2008 users, depending on the preferred method of deployment in different ways to access RemoteApp programs. You can:
    • Access to a program shortcut on a site by using TS Web Access.
    • Double-click a file RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) that was created by the administrator and distributed.
    • Double-clicking an administrator using a Windows Installer package created and distributed program icon on the desktop or the Start menu.

The usefulness of TS RemoteApp is especially evident in scenarios like the following:
    • Remote user. Users often need access from remote locations for programs, such as when they work from home or while traveling on official business. If you want to allow users to access RemoteApp programs through an Internet connection, you can allow access via a virtual private network (VPN) or TS RemoteApp with Terminal Services Gateway (TS Gateway) used to secure remote access to the To support programs.
    • Branches. In a branch office environment local IT support and network bandwidth may be available only in limited availability. With TS RemoteApp, you can centralize application management and improve the performance of remote applications in scenarios with limited bandwidth.
    • Provision of business applications. In many companies it is necessary to perform common business applications on computers that are running different Windows versions and configurations. Instead of business applications on all computers in construction companies, which are very expensive in time and financial considerations can, you can install business applications on a terminal server and then available through TS RemoteApp.