Thread: Windows 7: Network Icon in System Tray has Red X

Windows 7: Network Icon in System Tray has Red X

Hello friend, just a two days back I had installed the Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition and after that I am puzzled. I performed a clean install to a formatted hard disk. I observed that my network icon has red X marked during it. I thought maybe somewhat obstructed with it thus as a result I went to the device manager and from that I selected the network adapters and clicked properties. It shows me that it's functioning correctly. I had also tried to uninstall the network adapter and also performed the system restore to get it back and function properly on the internet but still has that red x. I'm just lost because right after the install of this OS, it was working fine. Please help.

Re: Windows 7: Network Icon in System Tray has Red X

My suggestion is that, better download the most recent network adapter driver from the manufacturer website and then after install it. Note that install the drivers in the compatible mode. If the problem occurs to you back then take the screenshot of "Network and Sharing Center" window and upload it on to the Skydrive.

Please try to validate the relevant service, for that first you click on to the Start button and from that search box and in the open box type "services.msc” and then hit enter. To confirm the administrator permission click on to the Continue button. Select the properties by right clicking the "Network Location Awareness" service. Now from the general tab click to the Start button. select Automatic next to Startup type and then click OK.

At this time, please try the following options to verify the problem: very first you verify and confirm that the NIC drivers are up to date. Then secondly if again the problem occurs then through the task manager end the task “explorer.exe” and then restart back the process “explorer.exe” and then check whether it works for you. Also reset all the permissions.

If your network icon shows you the Red Cross then try this to fix the difficulty. The very basic thing for this is you need to be on the Administrator account. After that what you do is right click on to the Network Icon and from that select “Open Network and Sharing Center”. After that Click on “Change adapter settings”. If there are any extra connections rather than that of the Local Area Connection then delete them NOTE: except wireless connections even though they shouldn’t come into view unless wireless is linked. Then you click on the local area connection and tick “properties”. You will get the certain tabs from that tabs select the driver tab and in that select the update driver option. After that click automatically search the internet and now Windows update will look for the newer drivers. If the entire goes fine a later on driver has been released and after updating the problem will get repaired