Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

No drives were found - install windows 7

Operating Systems

Old 22-12-2010

No drives were found - install windows 7

I have a problem i can't fix.
My system crashed and i get the blue dead screen.
Now i want to install windows 7 (legal) from DVD. When i get to the 'where do you want to install windows?' it gives me the following message: No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation.

I tried to go to my bios and change some things i read from other treads, but it didn't work out for me.

This is my laptop: MSI GX700 Intel Core 2 Duo T7500-processor @ 2,2 GHz

This is what my BIOS tells me:

MAIN
Market name: GX700
Model Name: MS-1719x
Primary IDE Master [hard disk]
Secondary IDE Master [ATAPI CDROM]
System Information

ADVANCED
intel(r) speedstep(tm) tech [enabled]
PCI Latency TImer [64]
Legacy USB Suport [enabled]
AHCI Mode [enabled]

BOOT
boot settins configuration
Quick boot
full screen logo display
bootup num lock
wat for f1 if error
hit del message dispaley

boot device priority
1st boot [CD/DVD:sm-slimtype]
2nd boot [SATAM-TOSHIBA MK]

I'm not that good with computers so it would be very helpfull if someone can lead me through this problem.

Many Thanks

Old 23-12-2010

Re: No drives were found - install windows 7

Well, i am not so pro in these things but there is one way that i utilize in such condition. Do you have a XP installation CD ? If yes, start setup with XP CD, format the hard drive, make partition like C, D, E, etc.. Once done, cancel the installation and remove the XP Cd. Now put Windows 7 DVD and start the new setup. You will find the partitions. This is how do, hope it may help you.
Old 23-12-2010

Thanks for the reply. I tried to install a legal xp proffesional version. It gives me a blue problem screen, so this won't work for me...
Old 23-12-2010

I would first of all tell you to remove all unnecessary hardware devices from the box; then download and run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to test whether your computer is compatible with Windows 7 OS, which might provide you the general troubleshooting steps of some known incompatibility issues.
  • Upgrade BIOS to the latest version and then reset it to the default manufacturer settings.
  • Change the hard disk type in BIOS.
    • In BIOS there should be an option which says SATA Controller mode (or something similar) try changing the options to AHCI (Advanced Host controller Interface) or IDE mode.
  • Unplug and re-plug the HDD on the motherboard.
  • If the setup wizard still does not recognize the hard drive, you need to download the right driver from the official website and load it while installing the system.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,