Thread: How to change the default installation directory in the windows 7

How to change the default installation directory in the windows 7

I have recently upgraded my laptop with a windows 7 operating system. First it was a windows 7 32 bit operating system. Now i have the windows 7 64 bit operating system. Now while installation the installation directory i had kept in the SSD of my laptop. Not in the normal HDD. So when i tried changing the default installation directory it seems to be giving some error and i am unable to change the directory. When my laptop was running in the windows xp the directory could have changed but the same is not possible in the Windows 7 64 bit. Actually i have used the Hard disk for all the programs to run on it. So any suggestions how to change the default installation directory.

Re: How to change the default installation directory in the windows 7

Well looking at your situation. I would advice you to do some changes in the registry. In the registry you have a particular folder which is related to the default directory. So in order to get that you have to go the registry editor by entering the regedit in the search button. Follow this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. Under the current version you will get the program files directory. Right click on it and change the default directory from whatever location you have currently, to the new location where you want to install. After you are done with that just click on OK and your problem is solved. Before performing such functions ensure that you take a back up of the registry.

After looking at the solution. I am also thinking of adding something here. Now what can be done here is that on addition to the work done with the registry, you still have to ensure that the program files that you may be having say supposedly in the C: Program Files. Then you must copy the program files to the new location where you are installing. So when you copy the files make sure that you don't delete the original files in the C: So make sure you perform such steps and you will be able to get through your issues.

Thanks for the suggestion .Anyways just to inform you all i tried with the first solution and it is just refusing to move from the C: As my SSD has a very low memory space and i don't think it will be able to add more files in it. So i was thinking of changing it to some other location such as D: which has lots of memory and free space. I haven't tried with the second solution. However i will give it another chance and see if it works or not. Anyways thanks for your efforts.