Thread: Cannot re-add drive to volume

Cannot re-add drive to volume

Hi all, I want to re-add 3rd drive on my raid 5 volume. I want to do this because my system was crashed. This is very sad for me because I want to take the data on my drive. Those are very important and I can’t lose that.
    • Mainboard: GA-P35C-DS3R (ICH9R-chipset)
    • Storage: 3x SAMSUNG HD501LJ (500GB) @ RAID 5

My problem is that, I am not able to re-add the 3rd drive on my raid 5 volume. If you know that how can I do that then please let me know. Thank you very much.

Re: Cannot re-add drive to volume

I think that the hard drive is not having enough space to do the rebuild and that is why you are getting the problems like this. If that is the case then you need to free some memory from your drive and after that try to rebuild the system. This time you will be able to rebuild the system. Thank you.

You can use the Matrix Storage Manager and when you click on "rebuild on selected drive" then this will rebuild the system. This will also provide the software support that will help you to give high-performance Serial ATA RAID 0 arrays. This is also having the support for Intel Rapid Recover Technology. This is the software that makes the Intel Matrix Storage Technology.

This seems that you have set up a RAID 5 array and measured it high-quality enough for a backup. "Redundacy" is nothing but a condition where a server otherwise PC can wait and stay working in the occasion of a drive failure. It is not any way a form of a "backup". This is what you must have. If you are having any data that you do not wish to lose then you should back up that in any other kind of media like CD's, or DVD's. If you do this like this then you will not lose the data even when there is a system failure.

You can try the following thing. You should add the additional SATA disk in the system which should be bigger than the existing disks for the ports that is not used. This will allow you to enter in the rebuild wizard. After you enter to the rebuilt wizard then you have to select the drive which you want to rebuild. I think that this will solve the problem for you. Good Luck!!!

There is also possibility that the Intel Matrix Storage Manager concludes that a disk is failed. This will spot the state as "Failed." If you want to tell it to unmark then you have to right click on the disk that is failed and select "Mark as Normal." This will inform the driver that it has to unset that failed bit and take care of the disk as healthy.