Thread: Cannot create any DSN in Windows 7 (x64)

Cannot create any DSN in Windows 7 (x64)

I want to create System DSN in the Data source (ODBC) but facing some trouble while doing that. I have recently upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7. It was not having any such problem when I was using the Windows vista. Is there anyone who has the same problem? If you have any idea about this then please do share that with me. I will appreciate each and every helpful suggestion for this.

Re: Cannot create any DSN in Windows 7 (x64)

I would like to tell you that DNS and DSN is not the same thing. A DSN is the name for the database source. It is used for the connectivity of the ODBC. I am also having the problem while creating the System DSNs in Windows 7. I am able to create them but cannot modify that. If you want to create and modify the DSN in the Windows then you can run %windir%\system32\odbcad32.exe. Try this and this can help you.

As you told that you are having problem after installing the Windows 7 and before that it was not having any problem. So I think that there is some problem with the Windows 7 installation that is running on your computer. So I think that you should try by doing the repair to the system and see if it solves the problem or not. If that does not help you then you can do a clean install of it. This time try to use a different copy of the setup. Make this as the last choice if nothing helps you.

I think that Windows 7 x64 is not compatible with the system that you are using and so it is creating some problems for creating DSN. My suggestion to you is to install the Windows 7 x32. In many of the cases like this, I have seen that changing the bit version solves the problems like this and I hope that it will do the same for you. Good Luck!!!